MS-Excel decimal place-holder

joe_burban

Registered
Do you know how I can change the format for the decimal place-holder in MS-Excel?

Presently, the place-holder is a comma (,) -- this is extremely inconvenient when trying to work with data sets in multiple applications (all the others use a period).

How can I change the decimal place holder to a period (.)?

In advance, thx.

Thank you -- but I checked that option already. It doesn't allow the solution that I seek.

Whether for currency, for scientific notation, or for fixed/general notation, the decimal place holder remains a comma. I *very* much want to use a period.

For example: If I would like to enter two thousand four hundred sixteen and twelve one hundredths, I must type " 2416,12 " And, in each cell it displays as: 2416,12 It exports as 2416,12

I need 2416.12

Do you have other suggestions?

"Tools>Options" menu does not exist on my version of excel (MS-Office 2004 for Mac).

Thank you all for your help. While I'm waiting for gcc to download (and implement fortran compile in XCode), I have completed the necessary calculations in MatLab.

joe_burban said:
"Tools>Options" menu does not exist on my version of excel (MS-Office 2004 for Mac).
It doesn't exist on mine either. But Excel help has this to say...

• The settings on the Formats or Numbers tab on the International pane (System Preferences) determine the position of the euro sign (that is, whether the symbol appears before or after the number and whether a space separates the symbol and the number), as well as the decimal symbol and the thousands separator.

So your System's preferences determine what Excel uses.

Back