Multiple graphics cards in a G5

sladuuch

Registered
I'd really like to hook up more than two displays to my G5, yet sadly my graphics cards has only two ports, both of which are currently filled up. Am I correct in thinking that I can have 3 or even 4 hooked up if I add a PCI graphics card? If so, which one would be a good choice. I've got a 1st generation dual 2Ghz with PCI-X.

you can add as many PCI graphics cards as you want, but they can't be PCI-Express. you can pick up a very decent ATI Radeon PCI card for about £100, which can potentially add two more dvi slots, meaning two more monitors. these monitors wouldn't be capable of running quake 4, but would be adequate i think for every day stuff (internet, msn, itunes etc)

i thought it was useful too, until i got two. and it sort of is useful, but also not that much either. i now have itunes, iphoto, and msn on one, and all my pro apps on the other. internet flits between both.

it's nice having all the space, but being as the monitors are still the same size, you can't anymore on one than you could before. i would quite happily trade them all in for 1 30" monitor. but this set up cost a fraction of that price, and i have 2 20" monitors.

Two monitors is almost a necessity when cutting video, doing any kind of audio editing, or working intensely in PhotoShop... unless you've got a monitor bigger than 22".

Three monitors is useful when doing video editing -- two LCD/CRT monitors for palettes and layouts, and an NTSC/PAL monitor for checking the output.

Four monitors is useful for Terminal junkies or hard-core programmers.

It all depends on what you want to do with them. Once I discovered multiple monitors, I don't think I could ever go back to using a single monitor. Going back to one, single monitor would be like someone blacking out all the windows in my car except for my windshield.

i had two monitors for graphic design on my pc...

since using the mac i've found even two isn't neccessary - bump the resolution up and setup expose and you'll be right!!!

Also in photoshop hitting tab will hide all your tools and allow you to work with the selected tool fine - handy to know...

mattsuzu said:
why do you need four monitors?
Many of us have several monitors laying around, so wouldn’t it make sense to substantially increase your desktop real estate with a $50 video card? In doing coding and creating proposals, I find that having several documents side-by-side for reference/comparing is very useful. Having read this thread, I will be adding a third monitor.

Back