Music Store account failure

sirharper

Registered
Is anybody else trying to set up their existing Apple ID on the Music Store and keep getting an "error try back later'?

Mine worked. It was a little bit weird, and I don't remember what magic I went through to get it functional, but mine works.

But now my concern is more of a fundamental failure of the Apple Store. It's not going to fly because it fails in the one major way that the "Other music distributions systems" succeed. Apple's online store gives you .m4p, a protected file, meaning you don't own it even though you bought it. That's the line that the music industry isn't willing to concede on. Until they give us a legitimate method of owning music, we'll continue owning it illegitimately.

I'm bummed really, that this is the version that's Apple endorsed. I thought it might actually be consumer friendly. If Apple's computer service goes offline, you can no longer play the content you purchased a license to listen to. I'm tired of being treated like the enemy of the RIAA, when I would be perfectly willing to give them reasonable return for reasonable content.

What do you mean you dont "own" it? You have it on your Mac, your iPod, and you can burn it to a cd. There has to be some sort of copy protection in there somewhere, otherwise the online music business is never going to succeed. If there were no protection at all, one person could download the file and then send the one copy out to everyone else without them having paid for it.

I don't like hearing the iTunes for Windows rumors that Fortune is saying. That is one of the main reasons for owning a Mac. I know Apple wants iTunes for the music downloads on the pc but it seems like they could do it without making PC iTunes.

If Apple's computer service goes offline, you can no longer play the content you purchased a license to listen to. I'm tired of being treated like the enemy of the RIAA, when I would be perfectly willing to give them reasonable return for reasonable content.

where do you read that ? Its my understanding that copy pertection is iTunes job. It has a key when you use your account and knows it. so when it plays that song, it matches the song with YOUR key with out going online.

I'm bummed really, that this is the version that's Apple endorsed. I thought it might actually be consumer friendly. If Apple's computer service goes offline, you can no longer play the content you purchased a license to listen to
Huh? Let's see, after the first hour, the service was very consumer friendly. Last night, I had to go over to the purchase music list to see if I kept to my $25 limit I self-imposed for the first day. And if it goes off-line (and how many times does .Mac or the Apple Store go offline?), then you play it on your iTunes, or on a CD player, or heaven forbid, your iPod.
You "own" the music as much as if you bought a CD in a store. You can't sell the music as your own, that's copyrighted. Same thing with the online service.

Have you tried the service??

Back