MW - iPod Shuffle website online

It's strange that it's only USB 2.0 compatible. I guess they expect to sell it mostly to Windows users.

I'm sure it is a lot cheaper to produce this way; plus it doesn't have the same functionality of the other 'Pods so no real call for FireWire. And at only $99 to $149 it is, as Steve pointed out, a better buy than perhaps any other Flash player.

Looks like Apple won't be satisfied until they've got 100% of the market sewn up.

Captain Code said:
It's strange that it's only USB 2.0 compatible. I guess they expect to sell it mostly to Windows users.

My thought exactly! I guess they believe a serious Mac user will go for an iMac/Powermac/etc. and a full iPod or iPod Mini. So Apple is targeting the low end computer users that primarily buy the cheapest computers (traditionally low cost PCs) and buy the low cost flash music players. Most low cost PCs have no Firewire, only USB and/or USB2. So the iPod Shuffle is targeted at them. Makes prefect business sense to me.

ThickAir said:
iPod shuffle. Another new item that doesn't impress me. More yuppy accessories for people who like to dangle things around their necks and be noticed. This macworld is a huge dissapointment, and even the Tiger features were screwing up during the keynote, and besides that, the keynote speech itslef skipped and finally lost connection afer only 15 minutes into it and I can't get it to reload. Not a great way to impress a die-hard.

Thank god for me I hate PC's and am addicted to slivery fruit cuz I feel like taking an axe to the Apple tree and all it's worm filled oddities. ::sleepy:: ::sleepy:: ::sleepy:: ::sleepy::
I have to agree.. it feels rather cheap

iPod Shuffle being USB 2.0 makes plenty of sense. First, you can stick it into the ports in your keyboard to transfer files, though it will be a bit slow. Second, you won't be transferring nearly as much as on a regular or mini iPod, so the transfer time will be much shorter anyway. Third, the Shuffle doubles as a USB flash drive, so you can kill two birds with one stone with it.

By the way, do not eat iPod Shuffle:
do_not_eat.jpg

Ipod Shuffle?

Apple's blurb tells me people want to listen to their music in random order... Rubbish, it's just spin to detract from the fact that it doesn't have a screen - why no screen? To keep cost down.

That's why it's so cheap, 512 would be fine for me but I won't buy one at £69 without a screen. Wheras I would buy a 512 iPod supermini with a screen at say £99.

Shuffle my ass.

Honestly... I have a 20GB 4th Gen iPod... I listen to my "favorite" playlist 99% of the time, it has 80 songs on it, I listen to it in shuffle mode. It takes up 350mb of space.

I wouldn't pay $299 for an iPod or $250... but would pay $99. It sounds perfect to me!

For anyone who does not "get" this product, please step aside and let the masses gobble it up.

Space: Plenty of space for its purpose and audience. Who needs to listen to hundreds of songs in one session? It's not meant to store your entire library.

Shuffle: This is exactly how I and (boatloads) of other people listen to music on their iPods, especially when running. I just keep hitting next until I get to something I'm in the mood for. It's fun. And when I want to listen to a new album in order, no prob.

Screen: It's got a screen. You just don't realize it. It's called YOUR COMPUTER. The only difference is that you set up your prefs ahead of time.

This is perfect product and price for its audience and purpose. If you're not one of those people, there are plenty of other iPods! I am all over this thing and I've already got an iPod. Love the USB-drive feature, I was just thinking of buying a a FlashDrive thingy, but now I'll just get a Shuffle.

mindbend said:
For anyone who does not "get" this product, please step aside and let the masses gobble it up.

Space: Plenty of space for its purpose and audience. Who needs to listen to hundreds of songs in one session? It's not meant to store your entire library.

Shuffle: This is exactly how I and (boatloads) of other people listen to music on their iPods, especially when running. I just keep hitting next until I get to something I'm in the mood for. It's fun. And when I want to listen to a new album in order, no prob.

Screen: It's got a screen. You just don't realize it. It's called YOUR COMPUTER. The only difference is that you set up your prefs ahead of time.

This is perfect product and price for its audience and purpose. If you're not one of those people, there are plenty of other iPods! I am all over this thing and I've already got an iPod. Love the USB-drive feature, I was just thinking of buying a a FlashDrive thingy, but now I'll just get a Shuffle.

My Hero! ::woozy::

Seriously. If youre gonna bitch over a $99 iPod....go bitch at the price of everything else. I love shuffling and having the ability to do it all on my Powerbook since I go alot of places with it.

I don't get some cheap people. "OH MY GOD. GAS IS UP A PENNY. LET ME GO HOME AND CR-NOOOO!!!! COLGATE TOOTHPASTE NOT ON SALE THIS WEEK??? MY LIFE. IS. IN. RUINS."

:)

drunkmac said:
My Hero! ::woozy::

Seriously. If youre gonna bitch over a $99 iPod....go bitch at the price of everything else. I love shuffling and having the ability to do it all on my Powerbook since I go alot of places with it.

:)

i agree, everyone is so upset about the screen thing, or that it "doesnt have enough memory". If you absolutely have to carry your entire Zamfir and His Magical Pan Flute collection, get a Mini or a full iPod. These are aimed at active people who dont want to carry a hard drive based MP3 player while running or exercising, dont need the extra space, or simply dont have the cash to plop down on a $500 music player.

I know I would be on my knees crying like a little girl, screaming "Why God! Why...Now my entire music collection and my backup copy of The Golden Girls, Season 5 is gone forever!!!!!!!" if my $500 pod went crashing to the pavement when it slipped off my waist. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I do not actually listen to Zamfir, nor do I or will I ever own The Golden Girls Season's.

If I'm running and my Shuffle falls to the ground, for one I'm not going to be crying as loud, and I won't be out that much cash. And since it is flash based, probably NOTHING will happen to it if it falls.

I also go everywhere with my computer, if there is some song that i absolutely HAVE to have: Step 1- wake up computer, Step 2- plug in Shuffle, Step 3- upload song. Done.

I'm going to buy an iPod shuffle. But I can't decide if the extra space is worth the additional $50 or not...hmmm...opinions on THAT subject?

Well, what would you use it for? How long would you be away from your computer with it? How likely are you to start repeating songs?

Arden said:
Well, what would you use it for? How long would you be away from your computer with it? How likely are you to start repeating songs?

Both an mp3 player and for file transfers. I'd probably be away from my computer with it, on average 7 hours? I'm highly likely to repeat songs becuase I don't have that much music in my iTunes playlist anymore.

But still, $50 is $50. Blah, I'll probably get it anyway.

Trip said:
I'm going to buy an iPod shuffle. But I can't decide if the extra space is worth the additional $50 or not...hmmm...opinions on THAT subject?

I'd go for it! Double the space for less than double the money!

drunkmac said:
very odd man...SOOOO CREEEPY. I wonder if it will be able to act as a firewire harddrive or whatever like my mini.

it couldn't possibly be used as a firewire hd as it connects via usb 1.1 and 2.0

delsoljb32 said:
I also go everywhere with my computer, if there is some song that i absolutely HAVE to have: Step 1- wake up computer, Step 2- plug in Shuffle, Step 3- upload song. Done.

If you take your computer everywhere, why not just buy some headphones?

Back