My mac freezes up regularly.

DarylBehrens

Registered
I bough a mac G4 800Mhz on 7/11/02. It came installed with OS X v1.3. I have been experiencing much frustration during my first few weeks. My computer has been freezing up especially during any initialization of my modem without any way to force quit. My wife plays "The Sims" and it freezes up consistantly to the point i can not force quit. Sometimes I cant close the CD tray, it just stays out. I dont know if this is normal, but from what I have read about OS X it should be more stable.

This is my first experience with a mac in about 8 years, and I dont know all the tricks of the trade. Could anyone please give me some hints on how to optimize my system or if you think there is something dreadfuly wrong with my system please let me know. I have a decent computer background, but this is just pissing me off since the system is so new. Thanks for the Help.

That shouldn't be happening. Something is wrong with your System installation.

Try re-installing OS X on your system, and that should fix it.

For the advice. I want to do this right and get it over with. Should I completely format the harddrive, go buy OSX V.2. Whatever will completly erase every incling of my current system, so I can start from scratch completly. Thanks

If you don't have any data that you want to keep on the hard drive, then a format wouldn't hurt.

You can't buy OS X.2 yet, but you should have some System CD that came with your G4, and you can use that for now.

If you do format your drive, make sure you format it as HFS+, and not UFS. UFS is really slow in OS X.

unstable OS X eh? random. Like most people would say here, I've never experienced a crash on OS X except when I was running 10.0.* so thats preeeetty weird.

Devonferns is right, format the HDD and reinstall OS X from the CD that came with your comp. Then download the updates... if it's still unstable, mmmmm go nuts at the Apple support ;) Theres no need for you to spend extra cash on this BS.

Sims eh? thats a phat game, I remember building the biggest house when I used to play that :D

ciao

I agree with the previous posts here -- a full reformat and reinstall should solve pretty much any software-based problems.

HOWEVER -- have you installed any third party items? RAM is a prime candidate for causing unexpected freezes. I bought some cheap-o RAM one time and my Mac simply didn't like it -- the symptoms ranged from random kernel panics to just plain freezing without warning requiring a hard restart.

If your machine is completely stock from the factory, then a full format/reinstall probably will solve 99.9% of your problems. If you have added additional RAM, take that out and try running your computer for a day or two and see if that fixes things -- if so, you've got your culprit right there.

Back