My new Mac Mini

I just got a Mac Mini. The specs are as follows:
• RAM: 256MB (Will probably be upgraded)
• CD Drive: the ComboDrive (can read DVDs and burn CDs)
•*Hard Drive: 80GB
• Mac OS X Version: 10.3.8
• Misc:
Apple Keyboard and an old USB optical PC mouse that works great on Mac (it's also nice too because it has a scroll wheel and right-click.)

iLife '05 (came with the Mac)

Here are some pictures: (the monitor is a Gateway VX900, which is a 17 or 18in. monitor.) The monitor used to be used with my old PC.

Picture 1: (Yes, i know my desk is kind of messy.)

Picture 2:

I just thought I'd share some info about my new Mac. I love it so far. It's a lot better than windows.

I'm hopefully going to upgrade my iBook clamshell 366 MHz to a new shiney G4 iBook soon.

I was thinking of also selling my iMac TFT and replacing it with a nice Mac Mini, I'd end up getting more power overall nearly making money !

Let us know if you have any problems with it. This new Mac Mini is eerily reminiscent of the Cube G4:eek:

Lovely little mac you have there! :cool:
I just want to sell all my PC parts and save up for my mac mini......
All i need to do is put some stuff on eBay, then I'll be closer to my Mini! :D :D :D

P.S
Get that ram upgraded ASAP! ;)

Chazam...

Times sure have changed for used PC parts. 10 years ago I came up with the downpayment on my house by selling and brokering used PC parts.

Now... ugh, lucky to make a c-note now and then on a whole system.

Good luck.

Nice mini!
i would also advice getting a memory upgrade. i've read tests that say it is practically useless with 256, but wonderful with 512 mb :)

if it is anything like the ibook, you are going to notice a huge performance boost!

True, that. Once I upped my iBook from 256 to 1.25gb, the difference is amazing. At 256 it was just an email & surfing machine. Now I do all kinds of development, scanning & touchup, etc.

I guess this is obvious, but I just hadn't thought of it...

I was in the Apple Store yesteday playing with the Mini... It took mee about 5 minutes to realize it was not making any sound... and another couple minutes to realize that's because it has no speaker.

Is this the first Macintosh to have NO SPEAKER? ...or was the Cube also speakerless?

but the mini has a speaker. a very small one.
i've heard that it is not fantastic by any standard, but it is not that far from the ibook.

When I looked in the Sound Pref Pane's Output tab, it said it had No Output Devices found.

Even the volume control in the menu bar was greyed out...

And it was the top of the line 1.42GHz machine... The specs for this machine says it only has "Headphone/audio line out".

So are you telling me it DOES have a speaker?

no, but i'm telling you that i read a review (maybe it was PC MAG, or PC World or something like that) where the journalist said the built in speakers was a bit thin to listen to music on, but that you could connect external speakers.

maybe she was delerious?

Okay... re-reading the Tech specs I see it lists Audio in 2 places... And the speaker is listed in the 2nd section.

So it was loud in the store, but I still don't understand why the menubar speaker was grey'd out and the Sound pref pane said no devices.

:confused:

I went to (God help me) CompUSA yesterday to buy some little stuff and I took a stroll through the Apple section.
I looked at 4 computers (PM, iBook, PB and iMac) and all of them had about 50% of the system prefs greyed out. I guess they do this to keep people from screwing up the system.

I almost didn't buy my iBook because the lame duck at the apple store (Christiana, Delaware) wasn't able to explain why I couldn't open a terminal. By his account you simply weren't able to and that was *not* acceptable to me. Much to my pleasure I later found out he's just a bozo, so it's all good.

I have numerous speakers sitting about collecting dust. If you want I will provide you with same for minimal cost. The bestthat i have for you is a set of (attractive / high quality) Apple Pro Speakers, essentially unused. I do not know for certain whether these will work with the mini mac. flash@nycap.rr.com

Definately put some RAM into that sucker ASAP. I'd say skip the 512 and go straight to 1 gig, its cheap and well, its worth it.

Mine was painfully slow for a 1.42ghz machine with only 256 (WHY OH WHY do they ship a machine with such inadequate RAM?). Popped in the 1gig (2 minutes start to finish) and it was smooth and silky after.

Robn Kester said:
I'd say skip the 512 and go straight to 1 gig, its cheap and well, its worth it.

well, I give you one right out of two. ;)
i would not say it is cheap, but it is definitely worth it :)

Flash1296, the Pro Speakers will _not_ work with the mini, because it doesn't have a digital speaker output. I think it's an Apple proprietary output, but I'm not sure. I have one on the back of my iMac. But I was never impressed with the Pro Speakers, except visually.

Doug

Back