My "phantom" Fantom HD

kerisbf

geez o pete
Hi everyone

So, some time ago I purchased a Fantom 80gb firewire hard drive. Just recently, the drive stopped loading to my desktop. When I flip the switch, the drive powers up and sounds like it's loading, but it won't show up on my desktop. Same deal on another computer, too. When I run System Profiler, I can see that the drive is being recognized, but it still won't load.

I read about some similar sounding problems where people have bad power supplies or whatever, and that replacing the enclosure and power supply fixed the problem. So I tried that. The drive still doesn't work, though it does still show up in System Profiler.

I am at a loss as to what I can try here. There's a lot of files on the drive which I would (of course) like to save, but I'd like to try to do it myself if I can. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Phil

Here's another similar "phantom" problem.. however, it seemed to have been user-inflicted:
i set the permissions on it (through the "get info" window) to "no access"

This person has the exact same problem. Almost word for word. It's freaky. Recognized in system profiler.. not mounting..

A program called Data Rescue II seemed to solve the problem:
http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php
They have a demo..

Also, you could get 2 new drives and stick them in the two enclosures you now have. And use one as backup :)

Back