MySQL will not start

Matsaki

Registered
I just bought a new Macbook Pro 2.4 and starting fixing it with only fresh installs. I installed the OS X 10.5 (x86_64) pak. It was running fine until now.

The start/stop in the pref.pane don't work and if I do a "mysql start" in the terminal I get:

MacBookPro:~ matsaki$ mysql start
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)

I tried to reinstall but it did not help. What's bugging??? And what to do?

Thank's!

Using the terminal, create a filed called "my.cnf" in /etc and put the following inside of it, then start MySQL ...

[mysqld]
socket=/tmp/mysql.sock

Hi,

There are a few issues with MySQL on Leopard.

Follow these two links. If you do what they suggest you will get a working MySQL installation with MySQL Preference pane:

http://angry-fly.com/index.cfm/2007/10/26/Fix-for-MySQL-on-Leopard

http://www.angry-fly.com/index.cfm/2008/1/30/Getting-MySQL-Preference-Pane-To-Work-In-Leopard

NOTE for the second link: When you change the permissions on the created file in the instructions using:

sudo chown root:wheel mysql.server

change "root" to whatever your current admin username is. for example

sudo chown tferguson:wheel mysql.server

Cheers

D.

Det funkar inge bra för mig i länk 2 där?

MacBookPro:support-files matsaki$ sudo chown matsaki:wheel mysql.server
MacBookPro:support-files matsaki$ mv mysql.server mysql.server.real
override rwxr-xr-x root/wheel for mysql.server.real? (y/n [n]) y
mv: rename mysql.server to mysql.server.real: Permission denied
MacBookPro:support-files matsaki$

Got it to work now, The only problem is that MySQL don't start up when starting the computer. I hace installes tha startup pkg and also checked the "Aytomatically start up..) in the pref pane.

Hi,

If you follow the two links I posted earlier you should be fine.

That said, in the end I simply downloaded MAMP and used that. Much easier.

Cheers

Darren.

Darren,

The links unfortunately go back to the homepage when I click on them.

I will try mamp.

Do you know how I should go about "uninstalling" mysql & php that I currently have? Should I just delete the mysql folders?

Thanks,
David

Hi,

I believe you can just delete the folders along with any preference files in the two "Library" locations and in hidden "." files in $HOME.

Cheers

Darren.

One more silly question (I hope you don't mind) is there a way to view hidden files like in windows or do you have to use terminal?

Hi,

The simplest thing is to use Terminal.app and enter: ls -la | more in your HOME folder.

Cheers

Darren.

Back