mysterious key ; question on Powerbook Titanium 15"

MacLegacy

Unemployed Student!
the key to the right of the <command> key (see attached picture) looks a lot like the SCSI logo but horizontally inversed. Though, I might be wrong and it might not be the SCSI logo..

Anyway, wheter it is or not, does anyone know the use of that key? I can't seem to find it anywhere..

Thanks a lot

Attachments

• epsn0011.jpg
    epsn0011.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 175
On my iBook's keyboard, that key is Enter. What does it do if you go into TextEdit and press it?

On my Pismo, that would be the option key.

If you look closely, you will see that the keyboard is a European key layout, not the traditional US. It has a É and the È and other non-standard American characters. Perhaps it is just the Euro version of the option key.

Maybe it is the Apple version of the ANY key...

Maybe it is the Apple version of the ANY key...
LOL! :p

I purchased my old iBook in the Netherlands and the sequence of keys from left to right is: Spacebar - enter - alt - leftarrow
So I think it's the alt (option) key...

ddloyd: your right.. it looks like it's the "enter key" but why would the keyboard have 2 enter keys though?

pyro: btw the keyboard is french canadian

the two enter keys act differently. one key brings you down to the next line of text, like in a form (kind of like if pressed "shift+return" here), and the other key activates the default form button, like send reply or something. it's particularly useful with instant messenging clients.

are you guys really mac users? ;-) The key that closes a paragraph is the return key, not the enter key. The enter key is located on the number pad of extended keyboards. The location of that key, and its icon, are consistent with recent laptop keyboards' enter key. What is that arrow doing after all if not entering.

But the function is very much what is described by weaselworld, enter hits the default button or executes an action; return is a word processing function.

Is that what us old geezers would have called the AltGr key I wonder. On may keyboards you need it to get at all of the symbols on some European keyboards.

-Eric

Back