Napster 2.0! Who cares?

GroundZeroX

Searching for logic
Roxio has bought out Napsters name, and bought Pressplay. They intend on relaunching Pressplay as Napster with 500,000 songs on it. It will be avaliable a la carte like iTunes, or all you can listen to through streaming. Does anyone think that a simple name change will be enough to make Napster 2.0 a success? Personally, I will stick with iTunes, but it does pose an interesting question though. Anyone have anything to say?

Napster had one advantage over every other service. In the days of Napster, EVERYBODY used it, thus much music was there...now users are spread and number of files is limited. If I know these services right, you don't even get to download .mp3 files you can play and use freely...

The 'Napster of old' has long been replaced. The 'Napster of new' will be called iTunes International Music Store. However: Apple has already postponed its introduction well into 2004. :/ (Steve Jobs at Apple Expo Paris said in an interview, that a European iTMS probably won't make it into 2003.)

Napster 2.0 is "just another online music service". Nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't inherit anything that was good about the first Napster.

No pay service besides e-music lets you download mp3's. Roxio is just trying to profit off of the name. I think what would be the most innovative feature of all the services, is if Napster 2.0 supported not only WMA's for their service, but also AAC. I doubt they will, but that would make me take notice.

Originally posted by voice-
Napster had one advantage over every other service. In the days of Napster, EVERYBODY used it, thus much music was there..

Well, at the time of Napster, the Net carried less data than now, so in fact there's more music now on networks than in the Napster days even though the P2P networks have splitted...

Plus, if you've already used Direct Connect and got on specialized hubs such as the drum and bass ones or the video ones, you know that the quantity of data that travels today on networks is out of comparison compared to the few MP3 tracks you could get on Napster.

Yeah, but the Napster system was a lot more efficient then anything we have out today. I remember being able to find a song you wanted, and having it on your computer less then a minute later. That never happens today. I usually have to start downloads from several different people, then check my downloads list and see which one actually connects. Sometimes I'd get lucky and one has started. Also, I was able to find ANY song I wanted on Napster when it was still around. Now, on these other networks, you type in anything not in the mainstream, and don't bother holding your breathe to find it avaliable to download. You might find a few places to download the song, but then you double click to download it, and it turns out the file is offline. Personally, I don't mind paying for music online. I usually bought CD's of artists that I absolutely loved, but after getting the last CD in the stores, and realizing that it didn't have a lyrics sheet, or even a nice case to it, I realized online is where I will get the rest of it.

lol for the moment napster has awesome animations which are like metaphors for napster's whole story.... the napster dude escapes from jail, goes to the record company and then gets them to sign a contract for napster to come back.
HOLD ON A SECOND. Isn't this just itunes basically?!

Yea like in [censored] i always start a dl and it never downloads. And i always feel guilty when i download a song, a song which is completely amazing and well written. a dollar per song is brilliant, since you pay for the song, plus you have it on your computer. Plus the record industry and apple or napster gets some ca$h!

Toast, Audiogalaxy is irrelevant. :) Audiogalaxy has been shut down, to the best of my knowledge. Napster will always be remembered as the first. Not even Kazaa will be remembered as long as Napster.

Okay. And now we all stop talking about services that bring the thread too close to the board rules definitions, m'kay? ;-)

fryke is referring to the rules against mentioning p2p apps and their illegal uses in the same context. keep this discussion to current legitimate pay music services and not comment on p2p networks where the 'service fee' is for the software and not the music.

No w@r3z - No asking for serialz, hackz, or warez, linking to them, discussing or anything related, including MP3z, Pr0n and related piracy items.
This, I presume.

The Record Industry, including its download service pawns, is the archenemy of the little guy, the unsigned artist, the Indie label. Napster 2.0 is just another player in the systematic elimination of non-corporate music, of which even the iTunes Music Store is a part.

yeah i apologize as well...

but these p2p clients have been dead for sum years now. who cares ?

Back