Need cd labeler that reads file names/folders

jgrossho

Registered
This is a dumb question but i am far from a software store and all the cd labelers I find are for music... I need something to keep my files on disks sorted and labeled...as i just spent a day or two trying to recover stuff off my old floppies... I am scared into getting everything from Zips onto CD's and LABeLED...
also Zips are on the way out also... for thos eo you with lots of STUFF..

thanks for any suggestions... .
jean grossholtz

Do you have Quark, InDesign or PageMaker? There are free, downloadable, customizable templates for CD labels... or are you looking for something that will print a label for a CD from the list of files on the CD?

I am not concerned about what the label looks like..I guess what I am looking for is more like an indexer. I had a shareware program that would read all the titles (of files and folders etc) on a floppy and then type up a list. You could print these on 2 inch labels and paste them on the disk. It even could be saved as a file and if you were looking for some file (like Jean vita) and typed it in , it would tell you which volume it was one.. Now I have plenty of unlabled disks and no great program. Further I cannot find the old software to see if they actually updated it. It was called Disk search or something like that.

Jean

To print a list the current version of iTunes will do this if you put the song's in a Playlist, highlight the Playlist and go to the menu and choose print. A box will pop up asking what kind of label you want. All you need is a printer the will handle the size labels you want (plus all the songs have been labeled with MP3 description tags). Once the print box pops up choose 'page setup' and select your print size.

Oh, I see -- back in my pre-press days, we used Canto's Cumulus Client. It's been updated quite a few times since then, but it allowed us to back up stuff to optical disks, name the disks, then index them and produce a thumbnail gallery. When we wanted a certain image, we would double-click it and then it would prompt us to insert disk "Whatever-we-named-it" and it would retrieve the image/document and copy it to a specified folder on the hard drive. I have no idea what it does now, but here's the link for it:

http://canto.com/pro/

Two quick and dirty ways to capture directory text and avoid retyping by hand might be:
1. Drag the contents of each floppy into a blank Toast data CD, then select all, and copy. Every separate file and folder name will be copied into the clipboard, but not necessarily in the order in Toast, but the file structure of the folders and their contents will be preserved indicated by tabbing. Paste the data into a blank Word or TextEdit document from the clipboard to clean it up. When you're done, copy and paste into a Quark or Indesign CD layout for further formatting. This method doesn't give you sizes or dates, but you can see that from Finder. For labeling maybe it's enough.

2. Just copy the Finder window into Textedit or Word. Again, regardless of how you sort, the clipboard does its own ordering and with this method, you have to clean up the order. More trouble than it's worth for large directories, but for floppies, maybe not.

The main difference in the two methods is that the Toast copy gets all text inside folders (structured), and the Finder copy only gets you what you see (unstructured), so you need to open the folder in List view to get the folder contents. The Toast copying works in older versions of Toast and older Mac OSs, like 8 or 9.

I downloaded something called Disk Catalog Maker will test it and report back... it looks like a good bet.. Thanks for suggestions.. jean

Back