Need Good KVM Switch for Mac/Windows/Linux

dmetzcher

Metzcher.com
I'm looking for a full Mac-compatible KVM switch.

Here is the setup that I have:
1. Mac Pro with DVI video out (using a DVI to VGA converter to connect my 21" Dell monitor to it, for now)
2. Linux PC with VGA out

I have tried Belkin's Flip (USB model) (http://www.belkin.com/flip/), and it doesn't work very well with my Mac (meaning that it doesn't seem to like the fact that I am using a DVI to VGA converter). I am taking it back for a refund, and need to know if anyone is using anything that I would be able to use. The Flip worked fine with the Windows PC (which will become the Linux PC in a few days), but didn't bring up video on the monitor when switching to the Mac. I know that the keyboard and mouse were working through the KVM switch on the Mac, but not the monitor.

Thanks!

You're going to be looking at some quality loss, converting your DVI signal to a VGA signal..

I'd look at DVI switches, and a VGA to DVI converter (expensive), or a DVI gfx card for the linux box.

You're going to be looking at some quality loss, converting your DVI signal to a VGA signal..

I'd look at DVI switches, and a VGA to DVI converter (expensive), or a DVI gfx card for the linux box.

Actually, the graphics card in the Linux box has DVI output as well (it has both DVI and VGA). I also have another DVI to VGA converter that I could use, now that I think about it (I bought one before I realized that the Mac Pro came with one).

So...
If I were to look at KVM switches, I should still look at DVI switches, and assume that I can simply use the DVI to VGA converters to get the signal to my monitor?

I would assume that I'd need another converter of some sort to be able to plug the VGA monitor into the DVI KVM switch, correct (because the VGA monitor needs to be plugged into the DVI switch)? What should I be looking for there?

Eventually, all these converters will go away, because I'm getting a Cinema display, but that's a few months off, and I don't mind getting converters for the present time.

i'd buy one of iogear's kvms if i were you. i got the usb/vga one and it works great with my mac and win pc. they do make ones for dvi/usb too. and if they say its mac compatible, it is. and the best thing is if you get one that doesn't have the cables built in to the kvm, like the one i got, they do include all the cable you need to get it working (which is also why it may cost alittle more than some, but i have found that iogears are generally priced very well).

Back