Need Help with iBook M2453

borisdds

Registered
I was always a PC user. All of a sudden my neighbor brought an ibook M2453 and gifted to my kids. The only problem that it boots to the blank screen and a small file icon with a ? mark that changes to the some sort of a face.
I know that it is not a great begining, but I would like to know if there is anything that I can do to bring it live that my kids can use it.

Thank you

You just need to install OS X on that machine. The '?' means that the system can't find a bootable OS on the hard drive.

'Ibook M2453' - is a clamshell iBook.

There are four (4) versions of the M2453:
(1): iBook_1st release - Supported: System 8.6 - 9.2.2, and MacOS X 10.0.0 - 10.3.9.
(2): iBook_2nd generation - Supported: System 9.0 - 9.2.2, and MacOS X 10.0.0 - 10.3.9.
(3): iBook_Special Edition - Supported: System 9.0.4 - 9.2.2, and MacOS X 10.0.0 - 10.3.9. 10.4.x ?
(4): iBook_Special Edition_2nd Generation - Supported: System 9.0.4 - 9.2.2, and MacOS X 10.0.0 - 10.3.9. 10.4.x ?

Note: Although the clamshell iBook will run MacOS X 10.x, it will be slow. Consider installing System 9.x - whatever the provided CD's offer (assuming CD's for the iBook were also provided) or from a purchased 'retail' System 9.x CD.

Sample of on-line sellers of System 9.x (Mac OS 9):
'welovemacs' - premium prices.
'eshop'.
'e-Bay' - remember - look for 'full install', 'retail', 'clamshell iBook' or 'G3 iBook', etc.

Ask explicitly - "Will this 'System (or Mac OS) 9' CD install on my clamshell iBook M2453 ?", and know about their return / exchange policies - before ordering.

According to a quick google search I just did, it's an iBook clamshell. Perhaps OSX is not the best OS for it, assuming it can even run it. What remains true is that to get past the question mark an installation CD would come in handy. Mac OS 9.x CD.

Looks like you can get OS 9 for about $60 on eBay. (make sure you look at full install, not update)

Though honestly, if it's for your kids, then OS X should be fine. I had Jaguar (10.2) running on a friend's clamshell iBook with no problems. Sure it was slow compared to newer models, but he wasn't using Photoshop, and I'm guessing your kids aren't going to be, either. For basic use (internet, word, etc) it should be fine.

But that's just one opinion. It could also be true that the laptop's hard drive is dead (as is fairly common with older laptops), thus why your kids got it for free. You might wanna have a tech (at the an Apple Store, preferably)look at it before you spend any money on it.

Back