need help with mail server in osx 10.5 leopard server

rangerfreak1

Registered
just got a 1.33ghz x2 xserve and im wanting to host my own web server/mail server.im pretty new to servers but iv been watching the leopard server videos on the lynda website but i still have a few questions.
1:i have to buy a domain name dont i in order to access it from the internet or can i do it through a free webpage hosting site.

2:would my isp have a problem with this if so is there a way that my isp would be ok with it

3:do i have to purchase a static ip from my dsl provider for this to work

thanks for your time and have a nice day

thanks for your response. sry i am a noob with servers,from what iv been reading i need i dns and i went wih a free dns provider,first login took me to my router setup page, guessing i need set the router to port 80 to get to my server.also how can i make this a secure as possible connection so that my files are safe in mac osx leopard server.

Ok no prob-

To access your server or web page from internet yes you can use a free dns provider.

To secure your server/files you must ensure that you have good passwords and no guest logins turned on. Only turn on the services you need.

When it comes to email you will need unique domain to setup MX records to, GoDaddy sell various domains that are extremely cheap for 2 years-
http://www.godaddy.com/
If you go with them, you can control web A record, email MX record, sub domains etc online through a control panel

Static IP is essential for this to work properly, free dns is not exactly reliable for web/email hosting.

Back