Network printing

anykey

Registered
We have 6 eMacs running Panther and 2 running Tiger. One of the Panther eMacs has a Canon i9950 local printer (very good!) and another has an older HP DeskJet 1220C. I've shared the printers as network printers and installed them on each eMac. They kind of work, but users complain:

1) When they come to select a printer, they see a huge list of network printers as well as the locally attached printers on the two eMacs! This is confusing and surely there is some way to suppress seeing printers installed as network printers on other hosts?

2) Users don't get all the printing options on network printers. There are more printing options & functions if they sit at the machine with the printer connected locally. So this is what they queue up to do, instead of using the network printers!

The printer sharing is done via Appletalk. We have got a iserve running 10.3 in the server room for storing users work, configuring policies, etc, but this doesn't seem to be involved in the printing.

I not sure how to proceed with sorting these out. Am I stupid or something? I have searched this forum for a while without turning up much. I know a bit about Macs, but not a lot.

I've taken another look at my printer setups and point 2 I think I can now answer myself - at least in part.
The Canon i9950 isn't listed on the supported printers for Mac OS X (Tiger or Panther), so it is using a generic postscript driver on machines connecting via the network. This explains why all the functions of the Canon driver aren't available on the network printers ... is there some way to install the Canon driver onto all the network machines? I could try installing the printer on one of the other machines and then put it back on the original machine and see if I can use the installed driver?

Back