Network strorage setup

jeno

Registered
Dear All,

I am planning to build a file server (in a cheaper way) by using a Mac mini with 2TB of external HD attached to it (as start). The Mac mini will be running the Mac OS X Server to handle all the user/account and the external HD can be expended with daisy-chain setup when adding extra storage.

Every user will connect to the storage through the Mac mini and user will have to work off the server which mean user will always connected to the server and there will be a lot of network activity and HD activity as user will constantly reading, writing, moving...etc data on the server.

I am a bit concern that this setup will not work and everything will go very slow. Appreciate if anyone can give me some advice and recommendation.

Thanks~
Jeno

Well if you want function, speed and good looks you can get a MiniStack (even get a Enclosure version) and use the FireWire 800 connection (OWC includes all the cable in the box for the ports on the enclosure). Using Firewire 800 (with 7200 RPM disks) will be faster than the 5400 RPM drives in the Mini.

Then you could get a RAID Enclosure too.

Thanks Satcomer,

The MiniStack looks exactly like a Mac mini! So, with this device, I can install and run the Mac Server Operating System on it and hook up additional MiniStack with firewire to give me more storage and still be expendable?

Thanks~

Have you already bought the MacMini because Apple provides a pretty nice MacMini package for running an OS X Server on a MacMini, check it out.

It's a really great price too because it includes OS X Server 10.6 in that price.

Yup, I am looking at one right now. What I concern is the performance issue. Mine setup is like plug in a thumb drive into a laptop and have everyone accessing it over the network.

Dear All,

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1200
Just found this on Apple's website. It require Xsan and Promise VTrak. Obviously, we are building it cheap, we do not have Xsan or Promise VTrak but I really like the idea to have a portion on the storage to ask as Scratch, Buffer, Metadata and Spare which will improve the performance significantly.

I am wondering if it is possible to build a similar server without Xsan and VTrack but still have the similar functionality or based on the same concept?

Thanks~

Back