new 20" display BEAUTIFUL

solrac

Mac Ninja
I was at Fry's and saw the new 20" display. It was SO BEAUTIFUL. Colors SO VIBRANT AND CLEAR. It was wide format too, just like the 23" one, and ALMOST as big!! For $1299, it's AWESOME!!!

They had the 23" on display too.

Both 20" and 23" were set on maximum resolution, maximum brightness.

But, the 23" was like, washed out compared to the 20".

The 20" was one of the most vibrant and beautiful things I've ever gazed upon in my life.

I am so getting it!!! (Apple loan... cross fingers...)

I'd like to know why the 23" one sucked though...

I think that is just the next generation of display. If you look at the technical specs they list the brightness of the 20 incher as 230 cd/m^2 and the 23 incher as 200 cd/m^2. They are just building them better.

I have to get a Dell laptop at work and they currently have a similar thing going on with their 15' notebook screens. Well I am sure it is not the exact same thing but similar none the less.

-Eric

According to some people, the 20" isn't actually better but worse. Contrast is always too high no matter what you try...

That may well be true. Apple gives the same numbers for both displays for contrast but you can't say much from a number.

One important thing is that "better" for someone in the know and the rest of us unwashed masses can be very different. Most of us just think that louder and brighter = better. So now you have to go pointing out the subtelties so I will become aware of them and won't be happy with the cheep one. Thanks....

-Eric

louder and brighter IS better. Jeez...
I mean... the thing was a joy to look at. The 23 inch one was like faded and washed out compared to it.

It's a no-brainer. I actually thought the 23 inch display model was malfunctioned or something.

imac from 1299
20 inch screen 1299

a whole mac for the same price as a display. still too expensive.
even the 17 inch at a discount is very expensive

Are you kidding me? Check any other quality manufacturer of LCDs and try to find a price of $1300 for a 20" LCD. Sony's, the last time I checked, are up near $2000, if not more. Also, I read some review that the 20" Cinema Display, iBook, and the 15" and 17" iMac all use a much cheaper display, hence they price. Does anyone know any truth to this? I have a 17" iMac and the screen is beautiful; fast refresh rate, vivid colors, and great contrast.

Originally posted by solrac
louder and brighter IS better. Jeez...

Not when you want or need fidelity which I think is the issue Fryke was getting at. Me I am not skilled enough to judge so I'd be happy with either one you choose to send me ;)

-Eric

I don't remember the link, but somebody compared the difference like iBook (and sadly PB 12") to PowerBook. The Aqua stripes are too 'hard' on the cheaper displays, it seems. I can't really confirm this, as I've only got a TiBook here. But I can compare to my cheap 17" LCD, on which I had to severly change colour settings to get a setting that was at least similar to the TiBook's internal display. Together with ColorSync I was finally able to make colours look similar on both displays, though.

I dont care how good a display is, and I am not short on money, I can buy 5 of those LCD's if I really wanted, but no way in hell am I going to spend over 1 thousand dollars on a display. I would rather buy a larger desk and buy a big fat CRT. Especially the Sony Trini's.

Although, I suppose, if you are going to blow cash, displays are a good place to do it, since you spend so much time looking at them and people tend to keep their displays for at least 3-5 years typically.

But still, knowing technology, I would rather enjoy a bulky high quality CRT for at least half the price, then get the LCD's 2 yrs from now when they are sanely priced.

Of course, what do I know? :)

Dont take this as criticism for your purchases/preferences. Just my 2 cents.

Cool that means I am ripe for a new LCD Display! ;) I have the big desk and I am currently using a 5 year old 19" Sony Trinitron monitor as the second head on my Powerbook. I have even been more patient than you proposed by waiting 3 extra years :p

Could you please inform purchasing for me ;)

-Eric

I must be ready for a new display as well... I have a 60" x 38" solid oak desk (a steal at $600) with two Apple 1705 displays (the second one set me back $40) that are 7.5 years old!

I'm getting the 23" for $1600 using my apple student developer once in a lifetime major hardware discount!! (I will cease to be a student in a few months!)

CRTs? Did he say CRTs? Yes, Trinitron are nice CRTs, but really: Rather buy cheaper LCDs. Nowadays, you can get 17" LCDs for as low as 399 USD with 1280*1024. Buy two of them and you've got a great setup. And your eyes will thank you.

Originally posted by dave17lax
imac from 1299
20 inch screen 1299

a whole mac for the same price as a display. still too expensive.
even the 17 inch at a discount is very expensive

I bought my SyncMaster 172TM for 1200 CHF (which is rougly $ 800), so similar to Apple. The advantage of the SyncMaster: audio included (bad quality, I don't use it), dual connection (VGA and DVI)... therefore I can use it with my B&W G3.

Originally posted by fryke
CRTs? Did he say CRTs? Yes, Trinitron are nice CRTs, but really: Rather buy cheaper LCDs. Nowadays, you can get 17" LCDs for as low as 399 USD with 1280*1024. Buy two of them and you've got a great setup. And your eyes will thank you.

Picture is still better on CRTs. My 17" ADC Studio Display (Mitsubishi Flatron tube) has way better picture than my PowerBook. And the colors change depending on view angle. But yes, LCDs are both cooler and more pleasant to the eyes :)

I want no CRT anymore at home. The software has to adapt to the available colors.

The only reason why we still have CRT on our workstations is the need for resolution, and high resolution LCD (above 2k pixel horizontal) are still too expensive.

LCDs cant do accurate colors currently, I dont want anything to do with them...

I like having an idea of what my print is going to come out like, an lcd makes everything look too damned bright IMHO

I too, am going to go into the flat world. Barely know anything 'bout them. What do all the #'s mean? $ #'s I do understand

Before anyone else rips me a new one, I'd just like to say that you are foolish to spend over a grand on a display. I don't care if Sony's is more expensive than Apple's, or that Apple may have better design, or that the LCD market is still settling down, so prices are generally higher. I was only doing a quick cost comparison with buying an entire mac, vs one display. I am sure there are those out there that have the money to spare and don't care about the price, but I am not one of those. And just because Apple doesn't make CRTs anymore and everyone (including myself) wants one of these LCD displays, it doesn't mean that we all go jump on the bandwagon. The 17 inch I can see buying, but that's still US 700 plus tax. Almost 800 bucks for a monitor. For now I will pad my 401k and stick with my 40lb Apple 1705 until the radiation bores holes in my head, thank you very much.

Back