NEW - Airport Express

Do y'all think this could work:

iBook with Airport --controls--> Shared library/playlists on Cube (hooked up to Airport Base Station) --streams to--> Airport Express --outputs to--> stereo

Or would the music have to be on the iBook for it to work?

kerrazyjoe said:
The confusion is that it should not have to stream music wirelessly. I have a iMac without a airport card that is connected to a router that has an Airport Base station connected to the router. My stereo is in the other room. I should be able to stream music to my stereo using the BaseStation connected to my router as I can already network with all other wireless (Airport enabled) devices this way. The system requirements state that I need an Airport Card in my mac. I believe I will be able to do thi, it's just that is not clear. :confused:

I'm also trying to figure out exactly how I'm supposed to control the music from the other room. I suppose I just start streaming music and listen to it like a radio station. Not as nice as I'd want (it'd be great if there was a remote or something =)

However, it's overall very cool. Lots of punch for your $129!

You don't listen to it like a radio station. How it's supposed to go is like this (quoted from http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/airtunes.html )

Setting up AirTunes couldn’t be easier. Install the AirPort Express Assistant software included in the CD that comes with AirPort Express. Then just follow these easy steps:

1. Connect your stereo or a set of powered speakers to the audio port using either an optical digital or analog audio cable (both are included in the AirPort Express Stereo Connection Kit). Which cable you use depends on whether your stereo or set of powered speakers has an optical digital or analog connection.

2. Plug AirPort Express into an electrical outlet using either the AC plug that came with the base station or the AirPort Express power extension cord included in the AirPort Express Stereo Connection Kit.

The base station turns on automatically when connected to an electrical outlet; there is no switch. The status light glows yellow while AirPort Express is starting up. Once it’s started up completely, the light turns green.

3. Use the AirPort Express Assistant to do the rest. The software automatically indicates what devices you have connected and it walks you through the rest; just follow the onscreen instructions.

That’s it — you’re all set to enjoy your iTunes music on your stereo or powered speakers. To play your iTunes music, simply open iTunes 4.6. In the lower right of the iTunes window, you’ll see a popup list showing your stereo speakers connected to AirPort Express. Select it, click play and you’re ready to rock.

Basically what you do is you stream music wirelessly from the computer to the airport express device. Then the airport express device takes that streaming music and outputs it (by a standard size audio cable) to a stereo or speakers or whatever other listening device you hook it up to.

thisbechuck said:

iBook with Airport --controls--> Shared library/playlists on Cube (hooked up to Airport Base Station) --streams to--> Airport Express --outputs to--> stereo

That's a good question and it really depends on if the airport express is made so that you can hook it up to ethernet and control it that way from the cube. My guess is that it is made so you can only control it over airport (i.e. from the ibook with music on it only). There's also the question of how you would control the cube from the ibook. Maybe you could use something like VNC or Timbuktu.

Although you might be able to stream things that are shared over rendezvous going like: cube with itunes and rendezvous ---shares to--> iBook connected wirelessly to airport express ---streams songs from cube through iBook using rendezvous to--> Airport Express ---connected like normal to--> Stereo output. But that's a question of whether itunes/airtunes will be made to be compatable with streaming rendezvous songs from another computer to the airport express, which nobody really knows yet.

thisbechuck said:

Yes. This should work. As long as the iBook can play the tunes stored on the Cube, then it should have no hassles streaming it to an Airport Express.

unimaxium said:
There's also the question of how you would control the cube from the ibook. Maybe you could use something like VNC or Timbuktu.

There is no need to take "remote control" of the cube. All you need to do is share the music library from the Cube and access it in iTunes on the iBook.

I'm pretty impressed with this new product. Even as a handy, travel ready airport station that's cheap to boot, its great. Add USB printer sharing and the iTunes streaming functionality and this little gadget is straight onto my wish-list.

I'm very, VERY impressed.

This came right out of the blue - only Apple seems to see a problem I've never thought of that I myself have, and capitalise on it. What I want to know is: will it be the same connection system as the PowerBook G4 Power Adapter (it appears to be), so I can order the US version and just use my 'Book's power-adapter bit, and slide it in in place of the US plug.

This is going to be so good. I'll be able to use a wired broadband modem for my desktops, plugged into the AirPort Express, which will be in my Home Cinema, where the best stereo in the house is, and I'll also have Wireless internet from bed :).

The thing I want it to be able to do though, is have ALL sound (and one day, video too) routed through the Express.

I want to have my laptop in my bedroom streaming a DivX movie to my cinema, without me having to lug it into the cinema and physically attaching it with SVideo and Composite audio...

Oh and those system requirements posted earlier, if a copy/paste, imply NOTHING - they're system requirements for AirPort Extreme (not EXPRESS), which, believe it or not, requires an AirPort Extreme or AirPort card to be any use :p.

This is definitely a very innovative product. Yet again Apple has come out with another truly useful device. I congratulate you Apple and his Steveness.
I am going to try and order one as soon as they start shipping.

This device is quite cool.:cool:
I appreciate that Apple is looking out for my needs. My sense on this goes back to when iTunes was first announced. I was sitting with my clamshell iBook running OS9 wondering if this platform was a good fit for me. I wanted to engage in digital media photos and movies and a little music. Well, Apple launched iTunes and iMovie– then iPhoto – I bought one of the first FP iMac when they came out. They kept coming at me with the things that I needed (wanted). ;)

This spring I set up a patio outside my home equipped with speakers. My ipod is connected to my stereo through AV wire. It is nice for me! There are four members in my family all with their own iTunes Library – so I am sitting there looking at my iMac in one corner and my stereo and iPod in the other corner. I ask myself “How can others play their music on the stereo?” Do I purchase an iPod for everybody – I don’t think so. Do I run a 25 ft AV cable from audio out to stereo? No – that degrades quality and is messy – I only have so many Audio Inputs. What to do?

OH – AirportExpress a little AirFreshener Plugin – lose the iPod – plugin to the ‘Express’ and EveryBody can stream from the iMac. When somebody else is using Mac and I want music – unplug Express and plugin the iPod.
I have said this before – I have on numerous occasions wished for a solution to these kinds of digital media problems and – voila !!!! out of nowhere Apple says “Here’s a solution” I may be a sucker for some of this stuff but they have always responded. Everything from iDvd, iTunes sharing, iPhoto slideshows and iLife integration – it has just been amazing.
I just hope I can take advantage of ‘Express’ without an Airport card in my iMac and use the AirportBase station connected to my network.
:rolleyes:

ok, so i am going to get one. but how much will it be in the UK as it isnt on the UK store yet $129.00 =£70? or is my math's off? If it is thats cheaper than most wireless routers. Also - what are the requirements for this external speaker thing, i have 3 stereos in the house can i share my iTunes playlist over all of them with it?

EDIT: Also saw on the page 'Air Tunes Requires iTunes 4.6 or later" so and iTunes update eh :D

Um just a question here but there seems to be a small problem in the information.

The picture states that the Express Plug can be contacted to a LAN, but the further tech specks state:

10/100BASE-T Ethernet WAN port (RJ-45 connector) for connecting a DSL or cable modem

So according to this it Wont connect to a LAN (10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN port (RJ-45 connector) for connecting to wired computers and printers) Will this allow me to make my DSL wireless so my laptops can use it as well as my Mac? (that is NOT wireless)

Although I don't exactly know what an AirPort Express does for sure (since I haven't actually seen one in use), I believe I have a pretty good idea. First off, responding to your WAN/LAN question, I really doubt that Apple would not enable the unit to transmit wireless of an existing network. As a backup for this postulation, under the "On The Go" section of the AP Express site it reads
...as long as your hotel room is wired for broadband, you can create your own wireless network with AirPort Express. Just connect the AirPort Express Base Station to the room’s Ethernet network jack, plug it into an electrical outlet and you’re online wirelessly.
and in another section
If the conference room already houses an Ethernet network, you can connect AirPort Express to it.
From how I read that, it means that Apple has not crippled the device, and that it will work from both routers (current networks) and directly from cable/dsl modems alike.

For your other question about your 3 stereos-- you could technically handle it a couple of different ways. The reasonable way, if all are in use and you are really set on getting your tunes to every one, is to
Buy several AirPort Express Base Stations and connect one to every stereo or set of powered speakers in your house.
. The AP Extreme connects to your stereo's AUX input jack(s) (either RCA analog or TOSLink optical digital) by means of a mini 1/8" to (insert your output choice here) converter cable (purchasable at RadioShack or through the AppleStore as the AirPort Express Stereo Connection Kit. The last way involves 1 AirPort Express unit connected to 3 1/8" stereo splitters and connection wire snaking to the stereos all over your house. This method is particularly ghetto, and because it involves bundles of unsightly wires, you most likely will not choose this since you are vying for a AP Express in the first place. Of course, the latter method will allow for synchronization of the music-- something I am not sure is easily possible with separate units.

Anyways, I hope my long-winded response has answered some of your questions.

One last thing-- if your G4 tower is the only computer using the DSL connection, you would need to purchase a router, so one cable could go to the wired computer, and the other could go to the AP Express box.

Might just be simpler to get an AirPort card for your tower though.

Captain Code said:
Check here for some good answers from Greg Joswiak on Airport Express.

ooooh! You just beat me to it. I was coming to post that link, but you bested me Cptn Code. nicely done. :D

Sweet. I want one of those. And then of course speakers so that I can use it around the house. (Oh wait, I need a net connection home now as well..)

Thanks thisbechuck and Captain Code. Very useful.

One last thing tho i don't think i would need a router cant i just i use internet connection sharing and spawn it over AP? Because what i do at the moment is i have a Etha- Hub and i share the DSL over that.

Now with AirPort Express it is easier than ever to extend the range of your wireless network. If you find that in the farthest corners of your home - like the kitchen or upstairs bedroom - you are at the edge of your wireless coverage it is possible to setup an AirPort Express Base Station to connect to your existing AirPort Extreme or AirPort Express wireless network. Once setup AirPort Express can be moved anywhere in the house. Extending your network is truly a wireless feature that requires no wires whatsoever. All you need to do is plug in AirPort Express, and so long as it is in range of the other base station re-connect to your network. Now web surfing in a hammock in the backyard has never been easier.

(This is quoted from the apple stores description of AirPort Express)

Does this mean that you have to have an airport wireless router to be able to use the airport express to extend your or can you use it as a bridge for any wireless router??
I have a Netgear router and i need to expand my coverage area, can I use the airport express as a bridge?
anyone know?

Viktor

Maybe someone asked this before, but I am very curious about it and I am too lazy to read the whole thread. I am not sure what that firewire plug is for. Could it be used as some sort of file-serving when you plug a firewire disc to it? For example iPod?

Back