New Finder Question

evildan

Super Moderator
Anyone know if the new finder has an option to keep the existing file browser options? I've seen the screen shot, and I can't say I like it that much. It would be nice to keep the column view as I've grown to like that very much.

extented question on the new finder

and existing log out options. will the cube-style user switcher run on my clamshell? it's described as a keynote type trick and the oldest clamshells don't have the vram for keynote.

The user switching animation (which is directly lifted from a Keynote transition BTW), will not run on a clamshell iBook. It requires Quartz Extreme. Only time will tell if it will attempt the animation in a choppy mess, or forgo it alltogether. Probably the latter, but we have to wait until it ships to find out.

Column view is still there, the only difference is the presence of the left sidebar. Whether or not that can be turned off, we don't know. I would guess Apple would probably allow you to turn it off, and if they don't, someone will surely find a hack way to do it.

Speculation at this point, just wondering if the aliases at the top of Finder windows in Jag are being replaced by this 'sidebar' thing. No sooner do I become accustomed to a feature than they go and move it around on me!!

The user switching animation will almost definitely not be used on QE-incapable Macs; it will likely just cut to the next screen. I used to have an iMac that did not support Quartz Extreme, and it just cuts out Quartz Extreme animation entirely. Which means that you will also be able to use Exposé, but the little shrinking windows and moving windows animations will be forgone completely, methinks.

Column view will stay.

I don't know... QuartzExtreme is just a technique to shift load off the processor on to the GPU IIRC. A non-QE capable system should do everything a QE enabled system does, but without taking advantage of this feature, i.e. doing it all on the CPU. This implies that it may work on a fruity iBook G3 w/8MB video, but s l o o o w. All the Jaguar iCandy did run also on non-QE systems, just slower, so I think this will be the same. It would be a Good Thing however if the nice graphicalities were an option you could turn off...

Yep! Me too! That new Finder look is somewhat more like Windows Explorer or something... I use Macs in order to get away from Wintels and now this!? :p :D

I know that Steve said that it is based on iTunes and all, or even that this may turn into something amazing in the end, but still... :(

Boom! :D ;) :)

Well, I think the rotating cube thing should not be even TRIED on a computer without Quartz Extreme... the Expose transitions, however, look possible without Quartz Extreme. Don't believe me? Open up a bunch of windows in the same app (such as 5 or 6 photoshop files). Then Option-click the minimize button. They will ALL minimize to the dock WITH animation, regardless of Quartz Extreme. I think Expose transitions are possible.

Originally posted by Cat
I don't know... QuartzExtreme is just a technique to shift load off the processor on to the GPU IIRC. A non-QE capable system should do everything a QE enabled system does, but without taking advantage of this feature, i.e. doing it all on the CPU. This implies that it may work on a fruity iBook G3 w/8MB video, but s l o o o w. All the Jaguar iCandy did run also on non-QE systems, just slower, so I think this will be the same. It would be a Good Thing however if the nice graphicalities were an option you could turn off...
It’s the way they shift load from the CPU to the GPU that kills it for lower-end macs. The basic idea of it is that everything becomes an OpenGL textured box. Each window is a 2d OpenGL square with the contents as its texture.

This allows for all sorts of cool things, like exposé and the cube animation, but also makes it nessisary for you to have a GPU capable of OpenGL acceleration. You could, in theory, process the OpenGL in software, but that would be a huge load on the CPU for simple things like windows.

I would think that the cube animation will be cut on the non-QE macs, and as for exposé only Apple and those with the developer preview know.

I'd like to see the user switching transition be a preference. Why not let us select from the entire list of Keynote transitions? In particular, I think Twirl would be kind of neat!

Back