New Keys on 17" PowerBook

i know i posted this probably somewhere and that's my fault. how about the 12" powerbooks? do they have auto-sensing fiber optics? :(

Originally posted by MDLarson
So what's the F7 key? Do the new PB's have built-in video mirroring? Probably not extended desktop...

Yep, that's probably for turning on mirroring, because the default setting is two displays when connecting an external monitor :)

Originally posted by drustar
i know i posted this probably somewhere and that's my fault. how about the 12" powerbooks? do they have auto-sensing fiber optics? :(

Unfortunately, as far as I know, they don't :(

What are the keys made out of?? And are they the same on the 12" PB?

They almost look like they are the same metal as the case, in some of the pics I've seen?

Am I the only one who doesn't really get the point of having that new keyboard? The screen of my notebook is so bright that I don't even need a lamp in my room. So I do not see what lighting up the keys brings - except for the "WOW" factor. From what I have seen the letters on the keys are not lit anyway - so the most important thing - recognizing the keys - is not that easy anyway.

Second, the new display. Everyone shouts that nobody else has a 17" display. I couldn't care less. My 2 year old notebook already has a higher resolution than the 17" display. I wish Apple would have a 1400x1050 resolution on the 15" model. Now that would be nice. On a similar note, the widescreen format is not that helpful for me. I prefer a "high" screen, meaning that the vertical resolution is higher than usual. But Apple does just the opposite...

While it is nice to see the new keyboard and 17" display, I hardly understand why people get so excited about it.

Originally posted by Romendo
Am I the only one who doesn't really get the point of having that new keyboard? The screen of my notebook is so bright that I don't even need a lamp in my room. So I do not see what lighting up the keys brings - except for the "WOW" factor. From what I have seen the letters on the keys are not lit anyway - so the most important thing - recognizing the keys - is not that easy anyway.

Second, the new display. Everyone shouts that nobody else has a 17" display. I couldn't care less. My 2 year old notebook already has a higher resolution than the 17" display. I wish Apple would have a 1400x1050 resolution on the 15" model. Now that would be nice. On a similar note, the widescreen format is not that helpful for me. I prefer a "high" screen, meaning that the vertical resolution is higher than usual. But Apple does just the opposite...

While it is nice to see the new keyboard and 17" display, I hardly understand why people get so excited about it.

The keys on the 17" Powerbook are lighted. The actual letters light up in a blue color, you can see this on the Apple website. There have been a few times where I have tried to type on my Powerbook in the dark, and even though it lights up the room, it doesn't light it up enough to see the keys easily. I have to strain my eyes to see the keyboard correctly. I can't wait till I upgrade to the 17" Powerbook for this reason.

My friend has a Dell notebook with 15" screen and 1600x1200 resolution. I personally use 1600x1200 resolution on my PC, but thats with a 21" monitor. I can not stand the 15" screen on my friends computer, because everything is WAY too small. Even he agrees that the screen on my 15" Powerbook is alot nicer to work with because of this. Sure you can turn the resolution down, but this also doesn't look that great because these type of screens aren't like crt monitors where they can look good at almost any resolution. If you have them at anything but their native reolution they don't look as good. As for the screen orientation, that is a personal preference, but I prefer the widescreen aspect ratio. Widescreen is the future. Just go try and buy a TV, all the good ones are widescreen HDTVs. They are more aesthetically pleasing, they are a more efficient (try editing two documetns on a widescreen monitor and than a regualr monitor, alot easier on the widescreen model), and most people seem to prefer them.

A bit OT, but can anyone tell me how dual display is implemented on OS X?

I've used dual display on XP before, and you can choose stuff like which display gets the taskbar, etc. Does OSX have that kind of support? Can I choose to have the menubar on the second display rather than the powerbook display?

Originally posted by mightyjlr
There have been a few times where I have tried to type on my Powerbook in the dark, and even though it lights up the room, it doesn't light it up enough to see the keys easily. I have to strain my eyes to see the keyboard correctly. I can't wait till I upgrade to the 17" Powerbook for this reason.

Yup, me too. I touch-type plenty fast but in the dark even the screen isn't really bright enough (especially with fingers often blocking the light) for some things. Especially on a squished laptop notebook. (Still wishing they had added full-sized arrow keys! ;)) Another one of those things that you don't really see the value of until you use it or try and work without it. Very nice touch.

Originally posted by aishafenton
A bit OT, but can anyone tell me how dual display is implemented on OS X?

I've used dual display on XP before, and you can choose stuff like which display gets the taskbar, etc. Does OSX have that kind of support? Can I choose to have the menubar on the second display rather than the powerbook display?

Yes you can. The display panel of system preferences will have an extra tab with two (or more) display icons and you can drag them around and position them however you'd like. It was like that in OS 9 as well, I believe. One icon will have a menubar and you can drag it off and onto another display icon if you'd like.

Back