New PowerBook--Software updates?

jsnap

Bohemian
Hi all and thanks for any suggestions and help you can offer me.

Let me start by saying I'm not sure if I've placed this in the correct forum. If not, please let me know if you move it.

Secondly, I'm an occasional high anxiety person. I've had 3 serious head injuries, over the course of my 40+ years of very active life, that have robbed me of a fully functional brain. So, the older I get the harder it is for me to think clearly. I take mediction for my memory loss problems and I have the anxiety under control, for the time being anyway. I'm also a single Mom of 2 older teens (1 in college now) who are fabulous people, but I still worry, like most parents, about paying for college, about the safety of my kids, if they are doing well in life, their health, and are they happy, etc..

So, on to the meat of this... I've just acquired my 1st PowerBook & 1st laptop too (see signature for current info on it) and after doing the battery calibration, I connected to the internet using my secure, home, wireless network and all is fine so far. But all I've done is is nothing much. Just some emails and reading up on the updates.

Owning this PB may be overkill as my main intention is to have it for traveling purposes: web access, email access, bookkeeping for family and business, watch movies, listen to music, and some photo work eventually too; but, I'm beginning to regret having spent so much on something that may soon be obsolete. However, my old PowerMac G4 tower, again see below, has been giving me a lot of trouble the last couple of years and I wanted to stick with something familiar and have full support for the apps I use now. So, I got this after my sisters both said how much they like theirs'.

I think all the updates I've done on my G4 tower over the years have messed it up royally, especially that last QuickTime update that was pulled back in Dec '05, or was it Jan '06. I reinstalled the older version because the new one messed up Firefox and a few other apps. I'm not sure, but I think other updates may have caused other problems too. My major problem tho is Quicken for Mac 2006. I keep getting corruption problems and nothing seems to fix it. So, I bought this PowerBook to have as a replacement until and while I get the old G4 fixed, if it's possible, or maybe I'll have to delete everything on it and begin anew, haven't quite decided yet.

My concerns are these:
Should I do all the Software Updates that popped up as being available for the PB?
I've been hearing/reading about many problems with various updates; so, I'm afraid to do any of them. I had read somewhere where someone suggested using a combo updater, but I'm not sure what that is, if it's safe, and where to find it/them.

I'm still very concerned about the QuickTime 7.0.4 being safe to update to. Is it fixed?

Also concerned about the iTunes 6.0.4, Java releases 1.3.1 and 1.4.2 Release 2?

I'm not even sure what these do/are: Apple Intermedite Codec, Pages Update, Keynote Update, iTunes Phone Driver. Are they necessary?

Wow, there are so many apps on this thing I will probably never use, such as GarageBand; so, I guess I could not update those, right?

And I don't presently own an iPod, but I might someday, so is this 2006-01-10 safe or is it causeing problems too?

Maybe I should just install Quicken for Mac on here and see what happens without updating anything? It's just that I'm so tired of having problems and I really can't afford to crash this new laptop.

Back