New Powerbooks

fryke said:
If you get a more or less compatible drive, PatchBurn 3.x can make it iLife-compatible: http://www.patchburn.de/ ... I've got an external no-name case with a NEC "SuperDrive", and PatchBurn makes it totally compatible - even through system updates (i.e. just like we like it, totally compatible).
Excellent :D

Kap

I just bought 2 new powerbooks (15" 1.5ghz) on the 11th. Less than 3 weeks ago still. I specifically waited until MW and the guy at the store said since they didnt announce it, there aren't new ones in the pipe!!!

All I want is to be able to take mine back to get the new ones. Is there any kind of policy in place that will allow this?

please help this reall perturbs (sp?) me!!!!

calvin

clc2112 said:
I just bought 2 new powerbooks (15" 1.5ghz) on the 11th. Less than 3 weeks ago still. I specifically waited until MW and the guy at the store said since they didnt announce it, there aren't new ones in the pipe!!!

All I want is to be able to take mine back to get the new ones. Is there any kind of policy in place that will allow this?

please help this reall perturbs (sp?) me!!!!

calvin

Last year I purchased an iMac G4 online then decided I'd rather have a PowerMac and was able to exchange it at my local Apple store. The box was unopened of course.

Sadly: No. You've bought them and now you've got them. You can go to that specific guy and tell him that he was wrong, but that won't help you, either.
Yes, rumour sites are often wrong, but a PowerBook update was overdue ever since the iBooks got updated to 1.2/1.33 GHz and various rumour sites predicted PowerBooks at MWSF and mine specifically said "or in the month thereafter". Never buy PowerBooks when new ones are expected by the rumour mills unless you're entirely sure you won't regret it... :/

bleem2k said:
New Powerbooks

Not g5's unfortunatly but some new specs and features now on the apple store.

Do these new powerbooks have the Freescale PPC 7448? If not, I'd be kinda annoyed seeing that the 7448 is a pin compat. to the current 7447A processor, but with significant power savings and performance. The Apple web site doesn't say if the new processors have a bigger L2 cache, AFAIK.

malexgreen said:
Do these new powerbooks have the Freescale PPC 7448? If not, I'd be kinda annoyed seeing that the 7448 is a pin compat. to the current 7447A processor, but with significant power savings and performance. The Apple web site doesn't say if the new processors have a bigger L2 cache, AFAIK.

15-inch models

1.67GHz PowerPC G4 processor with Velocity Engine, 512K SRAM on-chip L2 cache, 167MHz system bus

512MB of PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 2GB
Yep looks like it's the MPC7447/A overclocked. I'm kinda disappointed. Something is wrong either on Freescale's or Apple's end. They could have just dropped in the MPC7448 and had much better power/performance in the notebook, as far as I can tell. See attachement below:

WooHoo,

Well i for one following my updated powerbook thread the other day am very pleased :) I was going to go with the 1.2Ghz 12" IBook but have now gone with the 12" 1.5Ghz Powerbook for only a few hundred more when you factor in the mem and HD upgrade i was going to do to the ibook :)

Well chuffed is all i can say and its being delivered in 3 days after launch!

Oh and its my first mac :)

Well, I've been away for some time but some things never change! Especially, the iWhining around here :p

1st of all: SideTrack isn't the same thing like Apple's... SideTrack uses, errr, the sides of your trackpad while Apple's utilizes the whole trackpad :p

Now, back to others:
-The ability to drive the 30" Apple Display from your PowerBook is simply stunning! Have you seen the desktop GPUs that do the same thing? Those cards are at least 3/5 of a 15" PowerBook size for crying out loud... Did I mention those GPUs prices? At least $499!!!!!!!!!
-Optical In and Out? Sign me in!
-Up to 8x DVD± media in a slot loading mechanism? Jaw dropping!
-Bluetooth 2 standard?
-Sudden fall patent is in? Oh, well... If only all portables had that :p
-Faster G4 too? First time seen running up to 1.67MHz? In a portable design? :eek: Do you guys even remember the size of a G4/1.42 heatsink inside a PowerMac G4? :rolleyes:
-5400 rpm hard disk in sizes of up to 100 GBs? WOW! I mean we all know the HUGE speed difference in real world scenarios compared to 4200 rpm hard disks!!!
-Airport Extreme standard too?
-512 MB of RAM standard? :eek:
-And better keyboard lights?

All the above in lower prices too? And people still iWhine?

I already knew that some things never change... Thank you for reminding me that :D

Note: I don't work for Jigsaw24 :)

Anyone in the UK, I can't recommend Jigsaw24 (www.jigsaw24.com) highly enough for sales! I ordered the Powerbook (old model) Friday, they were meant to have a model coming in for me, shipping for today (not sure what happened to that, Jigsaw purchasing and Apple suppliers seem to have their wires crossed), but it worked completely in my favour!

I've just cancelled the 1.5Ghz model, and am hoping to to the 1.67Ghz/512MB RAM/Combo drive (the other model was to have Superdrive, but it wasn't one of requirements, I don't burn CDs that often, and I'll probably end up getting G5 with superdrive anyway :p)/128MB VRAM/80GB disk and then, as the killer, a Apple Cinema display (of the 20" variety).

I rang, expecting to have to argue, I had the terms of sale infront of me, I had the Distance Selling Regulations (UK law on 14 day "cooling off" period if unopened etc) in front of me. Dave, my sales guy, just said "Sure, I see where you're coming from, I'll get that sorted for you". Awesome. Completely and utterly marvellous (you might be able to tell that I'm rather excited about it!).

Again, Jigsaw24, awesome sales, awesome service :) [I bought my last Powerbook from them, they shipped it me in literally 12 hours, and their RMAs are great too - I had a broken docking station and they sorted that fine].

I must re-iterate that I don't work for Jigsaw24.

Rob

HULK... i couldnt have said it better myself !!!

what is it with these whiners ??? they must be american... probably voted for bush... he he.. huh Scott ?

soulseek, you clearly aren't otherwise you wouldn't bring up such a matter as a joke. there are way too many volitile people when it comes to that issue.

Back