New problem: Apps now 'unexpectedly quit' frequently

pensfan

Registered
Hi all,
Strange new problem that I wondered if anyone had an idea about.
All of a sudden, I'm getting a series of "the application unexpectedly quit" error messages.
I'm using a G3/500 MHz iMac with 1 GB of RAM and OS 10.2.6.
The only application that used to crash with any kind of regularity since I've gone to Jaguar has been MS Word.
But in the past week or so, I've had crashes on Safari (at least five), Entourage (at least five), Quicken 2002 (twice), MS Word (three times), Adobe Reader 6 (four times) and Konfabulator (twice).
I think a couple of shareware games have also crashed.
I'm religious about using software update and have downloaded all updates expect the most recent one for Airport (I have an Airport card and base station, but, if I'm not mistaken, the most recent update on Software Update was for Airport Extreme).
Just don't know why this has become so unstable.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Kevin

When did this start occurring, and did it coincide with any installs you did at the time, either of new programs or upgrades to the OS? You may have to reinstall the OS, but don't do so until you absolutely have to. Like when nothing else has worked.

Originally posted by arden
When did this start occurring, and did it coincide with any installs you did at the time ...

Well, I can't really pinpoint the timing only to say in the last week or two. I think perhaps this occurred after the update to Entourage 10.1.4, but that is just a guess.

Well, anything goes in the mystical world of OS X, and that may have done it. Get some other opinions, though, because you don't want to reinstall the system unless you have to.

Yeah, I'd say go for it. A system reinstall is going to set you back a day but the result is going to be a more stable and responsive system.

I recently had to reinstall and it had a certain amount of suckage because I have a lot of customized elements, but the system has been a bit quicker since.

Use the Archive and Install option preserving users and you'll be back up in no time. Then start up Software Update, check off everything, and just let it go for a couple of hours. (You do have a fast connection, right?)

The main reason I suggest this path is it'll likely take far longer to locate the specific cause, and then there's no guarantee there's a quick solution. At least it's a lot easier than a typical Windows reinstall, and you should be set for another 6 months to a year.

I hate having to reinstall the system, which I've had to do twice: once for OS X on my iMac, and once on this computer for OS 9. And believe me, were these systems ever customized. The actual installation is the easy part; it's getting everything back the way it was (hopefully bug-free, this time) that is tedious and time consuming. Imagine having to run back and forth between 2 rooms, transporting data 90 MB or less at a time with Zip disks. A lot of data. I'm just glad my iMac had enough space for the stuff on this computer, because I'd never be able to do it now, since it's got about 600 MB left.

So yeah, go ahead with the reinstall. You'll feel the pain while you're doing it, but you'll thank yourself later.

I had this problem only with Safari and it definitely started after the Java 1.4.1 update 1 that came some time ago. This seems clear to me. Any suggestions?

I haven't seen you mention any type of trouble shooting or fixing. First, run "fsck" and see if that helps. Next, trash the Preferences of the programs that are crashing and only use one of the programs for a bit and see what happens.
If you have DiskWarrior or TechTool Pro, run those on your disk. If you don't have them, try to get them. You should have at least one of these with your machine for routine maintenance.

Go here;

http://www.versiontracker.com/mp/ne...de=Quick&OS_Filter=MacOSX&search=cron&x=0&y=0

Get one of the Cron programs and run the tasks on your machine.

A reinstall should be the last means of fixing, and if you do a reinstall, backup files that you can't replace and wipe the drive and start from scratch, otherwise you can just bring back the same problems.

When a application quits, go to Applications->Utilities->Console and tell us what the error was. That will give a better insight on your problem.

Plus, use Applications->Utilities-Disk Utility and repair permissions. (It's good idea to do that after any major software install). Another fix is to try to boot into Single User Mode (At power up - hold down the command(the Apple-Clover) button and the S key (at the same time)). This will boot you into single user mode (command line only). At the prompt type fsck -y. This will run a self repair program on the machine. If it comes back with an error, then run it again until it says it ran ok. Then type the word reboot and then the machine will boot back into OS X normally.

Also, consider in getting a repair program like DiskWarrior. IMHO this is the best repair program ever made on any platform.

I think Cocktails or MacJanitor causes more problems than helping maintain the system. I used them, the next day i had system problems. And some times a reinstall in place doesn't fix everything if the user account files still persist with problems, something i found out just a few days ago. I was so mad, i decided to start COMPLETELY over, i wiped the disk, every sector, then installed the system. Updated the system smartly, not how Software Update posted all the updates. I did the 10.2.6 combo update first, then the rest accordingly. The system is running fine for now, and my DiskWarrior should be here next week, I flung that Norton $#!+ disc out the window.

Well, for Office apps in order to stop crashing you must download the new patch from M$ which is the Office Update 10.1.5 for Mac OS X... M$ discovered that after releasing Update 10.1.4 to the public that they created new problems by fixing the old ones so there about the new 10.1.5 Update :D

Typical M$ :p

Get it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downlo...ceX_1015.xml&secid=5&ssid=15&flgnosysreq=True

Supposedly, your Office apps will work without constantly crashing ;)

The last Microsoft update to Mac Office didn't like the DIVX codex from an older DIVX app. Going to the latest DIVX codex resolves the Office crashes.

Originally posted by Urbansory
I think Cocktails or MacJanitor causes more problems than helping maintain the system. I used them, the next day i had system problems. And some times a reinstall in place doesn't fix everything if the user account files still persist with problems, something i found out just a few days ago. I was so mad, i decided to start COMPLETELY over, i wiped the disk, every sector, then installed the system. Updated the system smartly, not how Software Update posted all the updates. I did the 10.2.6 combo update first, then the rest accordingly. The system is running fine for now, and my DiskWarrior should be here next week, I flung that Norton $#!+ disc out the window.

Careful...you're implying that ANY file in the Users folder could cause the system to be unstable.

Instead of wiping out everything, you could have saved all your songs, movies, documents, and pictures without risk. The users folder may well have had a corrupted system file in there somewhere, but to suggest that wiping out the ENTIRE folder is a solution is dangerous if somebody values their files.

I never said i trashed my files, i don't keep them on the system partition anyway, I was more suggestion it was in the user/library folder. I copied all important data, well stuff i didn't forget to one of my many storage locations, reinstalled and got back to work. Which basically means i have to lose my account in order to fix the problem since none of the other 3RD party apps will fix them.

I did learn it is better to have all 3RD party apps on a different partition, that way if you do have to reinstall for whatever reason, they are ready to go, except a few require their serials again, better than reinstalling.

I always like when you "Quit" an app and THEN it says "Application xxx has unexpectedly quit". Well **I** was expecting it...

Back