new radeon cards

joecrow

Registered
macmall.com is accepting preorders of the new radeon 9000 pro for mac. price is only $150 which i thought was pretty amazing (especially since it's part of the faster new macs). but macmall had no idea when they were shipping.

has anyone heard a date from ati?

-JoeCrow

Be careful, I think MacMall was one of the online retailers that had a really good preorder price on the Radeon 8500, and then suddenly the price went up real high before it was released. Luckily I hadn't preordered it yet, but I just thought I'd warn you about this.

i'm not too worried. they quoted me this price. i asked them if it might change, and even if it does, i still get it for $150.

-JoeCrow

i would go 8500 over 9000 because of the anti aliasing fetures included on the 8500 but not on the 9000. my bid is to wait for the 9700 to come out, then the 8500 will go down in price... hopefuly.

The 8500 is better than the 9000, hence the price. The 9000 is ATi's response to the GeForce4 MX. Take a look:

8500's features:
• Intense graphics realism in 3D gaming environments and workstation applications
• Powered by RADEON™ 8500 GPU for revolutionary performance
• 3D resolutions up to 2048 x 1536
• OpenGL® driver supports fast 3D/2D graphics acceleration
• Dual monitor support
• Supports Mac® OS 9 and Mac® OS X
• Designed and manufactured by ATI
• 64MB DDR memory offers fast processor speeds and advanced 3D/2D graphics performance
• Rapid acceleration of graphics intense OpenGL®, QuickDraw® and RAVE® applications
• Your favorite 3D games or workstation applications will run true color 3D graphics with resolutions up to 2048 x 1536 with dynamic realism and stable performance
• TRUFORM™ technology makes characters and objects more rounded and natural
• SMARTSHADER™ technology enables custom vertex and pixel shader programs for complex geometry, texture and lighting effects in real time
• SMOOTHVISION™, ATI's advanced anti-aliasing feature eliminates distracting visual artifacts for smoother-looking images
• CHARISMA ENGINE™ II supports full Transformation, Clipping and Lighting (T&L) at 62.5 million triangles/second peak processing capability
• PIXEL TAPESTRY™ II, the RADEON™ 8500 3D rendering engine, powers an incredible 2.4 gigatexels/second for superior fill rates in 32-bit at high resolutions
• The RADEON™ 8500 MAC EDITION supports traditional CRT monitors, flat panel displays and TVs
• VIDEO IMMERSION™ II technology enables integration of industry-leading digital video features, including advanced de-interlacing algorithms for unprecedented video quality
• Process full-frame, full screen DVD or MPEG-2 video

And now, the 9000:
• Advanced 3D graphics and visual quality for high performance gaming and design applications
• Dual monitor support including ADC for Apple® flat panels
• Operate two digital flat panels simultaneously at resolutions up to 1920 X 1200