new ram in powerbook - boot problems

fbp_

captain obvious
new 15", 10.3. 512mb factory ram and 512mb I just put in

it doesnt boot normally with the new ram, hanging at the blue screen without loginwindow

in verbose boot it hangs towards the end with something about powermanagement I believe

the error I get is:

ASC::rWPM WARNING: couldn't find IOPlatformMonitor

I can boot in single user, and the ram shows up for top
after 15-20 seconds I get the same error as above, but it goes back to the command line rather than locking up

then I can type logout and have osx open and run fine (so far) system profiler sees the new ram and it seems to be working fine.

what is going on here? what can I do to fix it? if this was my old pc I would just deal with it and leave it on but Im a little more wary when a mac starts to have issues

oh, and the original new stick of ram had to be RMA'd because it causes lock ups too, but I thought it was just bad ram - i.e. it was never recognized by the system as actually being there. are there any known problems with kingmax ram?

Kingmax? I've never heard of it.

Which probably isn't a good thing. You might have a bad RAM chip, as you suspected. If you have the Apple Hardware Test CD, run it and see what it says about your new memory.

I searched on the internet for KingMax, first I heard that name too, must be an OEM supplier. The Mac and Panther (10.3) seem more sensitive to slight compatibility issues, so staying with more known names that admit to Mac compatibilty may be a better choice (Ramseeker.com is a good place to start), but you may get lucky with a third chip. :)

Does your powerbook boot and work OK with the extra RAM removed? Have you tried a simple reseat of the memory module?

Very likely just a compatibility issue. You did get the proper speed memory for your system (should be DDR 333, or PC 2700)? The Kingmax model number should be MSAC22D-38KB3 (not MSDC22D-38KB3, which is a 512 MB DDR 266) just to check the obvious...

I already returned it once and unfortunately the newegg.com return process will only send back an identical item or charge a 15% restock fee (along with shipping it twice now that wouldnt be worth it at all)

everything works fine without it.

and yes, its the pc2700 chip

Im going to go look for my hardware test cd. everything is working fine with the single user boot method I mentioned earlier, but I am uneasy about that as a long term solution. Im going to try to find a friend with a pc notebook that wont care about it and try to arrange a trade for some name brand ram

thanks to all for the suggestions

Back