New to Mac w/question

a320ca

Registered
Finally ditched PC and came over to Mac with no regrets. Purchased a Black MacBook with 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD and AppleCare warranty.

Now, how do I keep it running like new? What programs/software do you recommend? Is Tech Tools with AppleCare sufficient, or what else should I add (OnyX, Mainmenu etc.)? Understand most say anti-virus not needed. So what about malware?

Thanks to all for your help/suggestions.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, it's not a bad idea to open Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility and run repair permissions.

Briefly, permissions control who/what has access to the various files, folders and applications on your system. Permissions are something that are a function of the UNIX underpinnings of Mac OS X and are quite responsible for the much improved security of Mac OS X over the "other" product.

To make sure that file system damage is kept in check, you might consider purchasing a copy of DiskWarrior from Alsoft. Note that you CANNOT repair a file system while booted from it, that's why you need the DiskWarrior disk. Mac IT pros like me boot customers' computers from another drive to isolate hardware issues from software issues and run disk diagnostics on hard drives. DiskWarrior comes on a bootable disk so that you can boot from it to check and repair your internal hard drive.

Be aware that if you purchase any kind of tool that works to fix issues either with the OS or the file system you want to MAKE CERTAIN that what you're running is compatible with the version of OS X that you're running. DO NOT assume that if you get a DiskWarrior disk today that it will be compatible if/when you upgrade to the next version of Mac OS X. The same is true for OnyX, TechTool Pro, Cocktail, or anything else designed to improve or repair your system.

That said, the best method to avoid disaster is to have a backup. If you have Leopard, and I'm assuming you do, take advantage of Time Machine by getting an external hard drive (or a Time Capsule) and dedicate it for use with the Time Machine software included in Leopard.

One of the absolute best resources for troubleshooting a problem is the various Mac-related forums on the Internet including this one, Apple's Discussion lists http://discussions.apple.com/ and various others. If things ever get real nasty, you're probably going to want to seek out professional help to ensure that your precious data is cared for properly -- especially if you're silly enough to operate without a good backup.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the more stuff you install, the more potential you have to slow things down. You're not really slowing down the computer itself, rather you're giving it more to do. For example, there are plenty of little gadgets and utilities out there that might sound fun or useful on the surface so you install them, use them for a bit and then forget about them. Many of these little utilities will install software that starts up when you boot up your computer or when you log in. So they'll be running in the background chewing up RAM and processing resources. Keeping it clean is the BEST way to operate. Don't install stuff that you're probably not going to use. And ALWAYS make sure what you DO install is compatible with the version of Mac OS X that you're running on your computer.

Hope that's all helpful!

DiskWarrior is very good as Christoph mentioned.
Another very good tool is OnyX, I use it on any system I use or maintain.
Other than those... keeping enough free disk space (at least 15% of any HD size) and running maintenance scripts when needed, AND of course keeping a good backup of everything important in an external safe location. Backup is really needed, even if you would never 'need' it, the lack of it in case something would go wrong can be very expensive and time consuming.

Well frankly they all have different purposes and functions.

It's often that switchers moving from Windows to the Mac are a bit hypochondria-tic. You really don't have nearly as much to worry about on a Mac as you would on Windows.

Thanks. Yeah, after having been "PC" all these years I agree that one becomes pretty paranoid. I'm just trying to get a handle on what folks out there use in their maintenance/preventive toolbox to keep their Macs running like new. I travel often and use airport/hotel internet.

I already have Applecare and with it the Tech Tools.

I'll get DiskWarrior.

Now to decide what else (if needed) I should get/download.

Thanks again.

I decided to add "MainMenu" to my tools. I chose MM because it's light and does what I need well.

Well learn about Log files that OS X (BSD Unix) keeps. You can view them to see what's going "under the hood" by opening /Applications/Utilities/Console and clicking on each of these logs. Use the arrow keys to show more logs.

Now these logs can grow & grow but the "mad" programers of OS X put in automatic log rotation & archiving scripts (These scripts used to be run in cron jobs). You can read about this at Running the Mac OS X maintenance scripts. These scripts run late at night when most Mac users "sleep" their Macs.

So running all the routines in Maintenance about every month should keep your Mac running good. Just restart your Mac twice after running to rebuild the startup and shutdown routines.

I decided to add “MainMenu” to my tools. I chose MM because it’s light and does what I need well.
I’ve been fooling around with the Launch Services Database today and I’ve found that MainMenu is not effective at rebuilding the database.

I ran MainMenu, selected a .txt file in Finder, right clicked, scrolled down to “Open With” and I was given a bazillion options with many duplicates. I ran the delete command I know of from Terminal with the same result.

Then I tried Onyx and it cleaned up the menu perfectly. Dunno why, your results may vary.

I’m on 10.4.11

While anti-virus may not be necessary for the Mac itself, we are after all members of a community. A person may not be offended by his (her) own body odor, but we still use anti-perspirant, colognes and daily showers for the sake of society.

ClamXAV is for me a vital piece of Mac software, if only to be able to clean-up Windows flash drives for colleagues. I use it to scan my mail regularly to avoid passing on the "stink." And, when the first real virus comes along, I'll only have to d/l the newest - free - update. I use it and recommend it - along with a donation to a really good project

Back