Next piece of the media puzzle?

limike28

Registered
With the release of the AppleTV and Airport Extreme, and the ever popular iTunes updates, I started wondering what the next piece of the media puzzle is.

In my mind the next device I would love to see is a simplified media server. I would imagine it would be something along the lines of the airport extreme with a hard drive and some sort of iTunes "server" code.

Having multiple outputs for media (appleTV, iPod, different macs, and pc's.) it would be cool to have a simple device for storing all the media in one place and synincing it all or parts to the other deivces.

Any thoughts?

I think Apple has covered all the bases for the digital media experience they intended to create. You have the iLife suite to create the content in your digital world, you have the iTunes Music Store which encompasses Movies, TV shows, Podcasts, Streaming Radio, Movie Trailers, and most importantly Music. The there are the devices that are used to play this content which includes the iPod, Apple TV, the iPhone and Apple Macs with Front Row. I am sure there will always be room for one more device but I can't imagine one up to this point.
If Apple really wants to bring everything together they will release a video game console or market video games for the Macintosh. Everyone thought the Playstation and Nintendo Gamecube were it until Microsoft released the XBox. I think Apple has free domain to make anything as long as it works with all its other products seamlessly.

I'm not sure I can think of any other media device either, but I'd like to see iTunes carry HD content now that AppleTV is out. Hell, if Apple started a flat monthly fee for renting/downloading high def TV shows and movies I'd get rid of my cable box in a second (assuming most the shows I watch are on iTunes).

The only reason I would like a subscription fee for TV and movies is because I don't think I could get enough space for me to purchase seasons of shows to keep on my computer, I'm still going to by the DVDs of the ones I like. If I could burn the content to HD-DVD/Blu-Ray for playback though, I'd be willing to change my mind.

The next piece of the media puzzle could well be a recommendations engine. Think about it. Your home entertainment system - Apple TV will have so many TV shows, Podcasts, Albums, Movies, animations, cookery programs (whatever) that you may not know what to watch/listen to/enjoy - a recomemndation program will be able to help you consume all the media that you've got.

So, you come home from work - select your mood or something and then choice music will start playing. You would also be recommended new films and things which match your tastes on that particular evening. This kind of thing would be especially useful if you had a 24/7 subscription to the iTunes Store and could watch or listen to all of the music or films on there.

I kind of hope that this is the direction that software like The Filter and MyStrands is going.

Next piece of the media puzzle?

Well I believe the revisions to AppleTV have not yet happened. Take for instance 5.1 surround sound out of the AppleTV. I believe/hope the next step is letting the iPhone sync with AppleTV along with the mythical wireless iPod that hopefully will be coming.

So IMHO Apple now needs to refine what they have before they create something new.

There will come a time when Apple make THIER OWN DJ suite! They have already created thier own MIDI and AUDIO sequencer, Movie creater, DVD burner, and Photo editor! the next step aughto to be on the DJ suite! all music used in iTunes could further be used in the suite - the only really good DJ Suite is only available in Windows and it's called OTS DJ, I think its about time we had the equal of such available to Macintosh!

Oh and perhaps they should start creating games for the Apple Mac too!

There will come a time when Apple make THIER OWN DJ suite! They have already created thier own MIDI and AUDIO sequencer, Movie creater, DVD burner, and Photo editor! the next step aughto to be on the DJ suite! all music used in iTunes could further be used in the suite - the only really good DJ Suite is only available in Windows and it's called OTS DJ, I think its about time we had the equal of such available to Macintosh!

Oh and perhaps they should start creating games for the Apple Mac too!

Oh come on, there's about a million and one DJ something suite available on the Windows side and about a thousand and one on Mac. Besides, despise the inflatonary number of people who call themselves "DJ" it is by no means a mass market.

Bottom line: Ain't gonna happen. Apple might add functionality to their iTunes playlist system to better serve part time wanna be DJs but nothing more.

Back