NFS Trouble

Evilguru

Registered
I am having some trouble mounting an NFS export on my Mac. I have followed this guide here: http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~salathe/osx_unix/nfsmount.html (harder but more robust way) and it seems to have mounted it fine - the problem is that I can not write to the NFS share.

On my host computer (hosting the export) the code in /etc/exports is:
Code:
/home/freddie 192.168.0.6(async,no_subtree_check,rw,insecure)
While my user names are different (freddie on the server PC and freddiewitherden on my Mac, due to a mix-up when setting up OS X leaving me with a long user name and no way to fix it :( ) but that should not be causing me any problems, as I went to the trouble of chmodding my 'Movies' directory, which I plan to use to store all of my iDVD/iMovie stuff of 0777 but a stat of the folder from my Mac still gives me:
Code:
EvilGurus-iBook:/Users/freddiewitherden/Genware Home root# stat Movies
436207636 9125891 drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 0 4096 "Apr  8 19:19:09 2006" "Apr  8 19:19:09 2006" "Apr  8 19:19:09 2006" 16384 8 0 Movies
I should note that if I mount the share on another computer (Linux) and do a stat on movies I get exactly the same result, but on that computer my user is called 'freddie' and so I am able to create/delete files using it.

I am just not sure what to do at the moment, do I need to some-how 'remount' the share, and if so how? Or was there a problem is how I set it up, NFS is one of those things that is crucial to my life so would appreciate any help you can give me.

I think that I might have found a solution to both of my problems (nfs write permissions and my long 'short' username).

I was looking at my user permissions today to see why I was unable to write to my NFS share when it hit me, NFS permissions are done on a uid/gid basis, which on all of my Linux PC's is not a problem, as the first 'real' user is always called freddie and it is the one I always use, with a uid and gid of 1001.

However, when looking in Netinfo Manager today I noticed that my uid was 501 and my gid was 501, 500 less than what my NFS server is looking for. After looking in the groups->freddiewitherden panel and the Users->freddiewitherden panel I saw that the data could be edited, which if I am correct will allow me to change my User gid and uid and my group gid to 1001 and change my username and home directory at the same time!

However, there are two things that I am unsure about, first what do the values like generateduid mean and some of the ones that start with an '_' all mean (most are freddiewitherden). And second how will I deal with my home directory being moved, will copying it and then (as root) a bit of creating chown'ing do the trick or will it take something a bit more complex to do it? Last but not least, will it work? Or does OS X keep more user information in another location?

Thanks for all of your help.

Back