No new features for 3G ipod owners?

I use the shuffle feature often and have always thought it could have been done in an easier way just as it is now with the G4 iPods. With G3 version you have to access a few different menus just to go from normal to shuffle or vice versa, other improvements can stay G4 only but the shuffle feature would be nice to have and not too much to ask in my opinion

Viktor

Sure it would have been nice -- but I bet you didn't even think it would be nice until you saw it in action on a newer device, right?

I mean, c'mon people! Hey, you'd better hold off on buying that brand-spanking new 4G iPod, because we all know you're going to come back here and bitch and moan about how it doesn't have all the features of the 5G iPod.

Sheesh. You loved your 2G and 3G iPods, but now they suck and you're angry because they don't incorporate features that newer hardware does? Does that sound logical? I mean, hell, I wish my 1997 VW had all the features of the 1998 model, but I bought a 1997 model, not a 1998 model! Where on the box or in the instruction manual does it say that the iPod will be updated with the latest features of future models? Oh, right, it doesn't... so why are you so jealous and mad?

Just because a company CAN do something doesn't mean it will, nor does it mean they are withholding stuff just to be mean, nor does it mean that they're completely profit-driven and want only your money. Every other company in the world does this same thing. It's time to face it... you own older hardware... yes, you are now the proud owner of older hardware. It was bound to happen at one point or another.

I've got a 3G iPod - I leave the settings on "shuffle all songs within a playlist"

What's the big deal with the new option?

For goodness sake, it's only 4 or 5 button clicks... ;-)

This is very good news for me. Now I can convince myself that I really do need a new ipod. I had a 15GB anyhow so, anyway I look at it it's an unbelievable update for me. If I wait 3 months or so the chance of Apple having any 15GB in stock will be slim to none. So, I send in my 105 bucks and I get a fancy new 20GB 4G ipod

I'm not mad, annoyed, bitching or moaning etc, it's just a feature that i wouldn't mind having. I thought a forum like this would be the place to talk about that without upsetting people. And the comparison between iPod and VW is a bit far fetched. And as a matter of fact I did want a feature like the easy shuffling before they came out with the G4 ipod.

Viktor

APPLE, HOW COULD YOU???
::evil::
I am utterly furious that the new upgrade for my 5 gigabyte iPod does not include fancy shmancy orange glowing buttons, on the go playlists, or Solitaire!!! Solitaire! Of all things! How the HELL am is supposed to get NOTHING done when I'm on the road without Solitaire! Dammit, Apple! I spent $400... that's 4 time one HUNDRED.... dollars on this thing, and it still plays MUSIC dammit!

What the hell good is a music player that just plays music?!? Shit!

:D Despite it's lack of On the Go playlists, I love my original 5 gigabyte iPod. And the battery still kicks ass, too. You just have to treat it right.

I don't really care about any of the new features - I always have my iPod on shuffle and wouldn't have it any other way and I don't care about on-the-go playlists - I do however still wish I could rate songs on the go on my second generation iPod.

What annoys me though is that all the arguments that people give as to why Apple don't offer these upgrades are a load of crap. Jesus, you people seem so happy to suffer with whatever is given to you - I'm suprised you don't use Windows!!

As far as I can see the ONLY 2 possible reasons they don't offer the upgrades are:

1) Because it's not technically possible (I doubt this)
2) To sell more iPods (bingo!!)

yes, they are a company, and yes companies are about profit, but lets not go making excuses for them.

Oh - and a quick question:

Are smart playlists actually smart on newer iPods, or are they still just copied across as dumb playlists?

One of the things that annoys me most about my 2nd gen iPod (other than not being able to rate songs on it) is that smart playlists only update when you re-sync with your computer.

Back