NO VIDEO - NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (early 2008)

dmetzcher

Metzcher.com
I purchased this card for my Mac Pro:
"NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (early 2008) Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro"
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB137Z/A

I spoke with multiple Geniuses. I spoke with AppleCare. Everyone is telling me that this is the card for my Mac Pro model. They looked up the model number and confirmed it. The original ATI card works in the machine.

I received the card, installed it, booted the machine, and had no video. Just two blank 20" displays. I tried using one display, reset power management, did a few other things while on the phone with a Genius. Nothing.

AppleCare sent me a new card (same model). Same issues. I'm looking at two blank displays right now. I'm as frustrated as I could possibly be.

Someone PLEASE help me here, because I'm desperate. Is there anything I can do to try to fix this? Are all the people I spoke to at Apple completely wrong and could this be the wrong card? Multiple people looked up the model number and they all point me to this card. It doesn't work, and since my ATI card works, I doubt it's the machine.

What can I do?

Thanks..

What kind of mac pro do you have?if you put in the old video card do you see any display? try the following:
1. download and install the mac os x 10.5.6 combo update
2. make sure that your EMI firmware is updated(basically do a software update)
3. as soon as you plug that video card try to perform a reset pram by doing
option +command + R+ P while restarting. You need to at least hear the 3rd chime before letting go of those 4 keys

I'm thinking the PRAM reset may help -- many video settings are stored in the machine's parameter RAM, and sometimes it must be reset to alleviate problems such as yours.

If that doesn't work, try unplugging all peripherals from the computer (so that not a single cable is protruding from anywhere on the computer) and unplug the computer from the wall for a few minutes (after you shut down the machine properly, of course), then plugging it back in and booting.

Failing that, perhaps the SMC needs to be reset:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1806

Back