Noisy Server

RMB

Registered
I begged and pleaded with my boss for one and he finally gave in just so I would stop bugging him and it's finally here. But the thing was when I fired it up it gave such a noise and it never quit. It feels like I was at the airport boarding up on one of those prop planes. I opened it up and it has these huge suction fans that takes up most of the room. I can deal with some noise (I have at home 4 internal drives in a dual gig g4) but compared with the server it's whisper quiet. Do most servers have major noise? How does one adjust this to tone it down? Is it possible to have a major length usb, firwire, and video cable without loss to signal (so I can put this machine as far away from me as I can)? I'd like to know for this is a machine I have to use not just as a server but also as a main machine and I don't want to go deaf in the process.

Is it an Xserve? Those are normally noisy :) But powerful... How many drive bays are in it? You can get real expensive soundproof enclosures from apple.com/store, but they are expensive.

Check to make sure one of the control strips is not bumping into the fan. The fact that you describe the noise as "those prop planes" leads me to believe something is hitting the fan as it spins.

Don't know much about the internal working of the Xserve, but I've heard they are a bit noisy.

Well, I looked at the rack and you are absolutly right, they are expensive, really expensive. So I told my boss and all of sudden he said I could order one. He thinks that in the future I may increase the number of servers so this might be cost benifit. Although I am still skeptical about the reduction of 75% noise reduction. I'll let you know weather this will fix it or not when I get the rack in.

Back