Noob Mac OS X question about browsing file system

chibislick

Registered
Maybe I've missed something, I don't know. I'm trying to browse with the finder different locations on my file system, but can't seem to be able to browse to places other than my personnal home (ie: accessing /etc, etc..), except than with the console. But even then, what if I have to open, ex, httpd.conf with the graphical textedit program?

any help? thanks!

Here is a small OS X Unix tutorial. Now, if someone would like to see the files using the finder can either use Finder menu-"Go to Folder" and choose the unix path and a Finder folder will open up to it. Also, you could download TinkerTool. When running the program you can have invisible Folders and Files shown. Then just open the Hard Drive Icon and go at it.

Warning, be careful! Unix is powerful and if you don't really know what you are doing you can really screw an OS X system up.

thanks much..

so my two options, if I want to edit a system file with a graphical text editor, are basically the "go to folder" and the third party software that allows hidden directories and files.

kind of a disapointment though, since both windows and unix/linux let you browse your file system freely.

thanks! :D

If you are set up as the Admin user you should be able to view/browse all the files on your computer. Use Disk Utility to repair permissions so you can browse.

The Warning (repeating Satcomer's warning): If you change any file within the System folder you can render your computer useless. You have to be absolutely sure of what you are doing. The system is built with this protection. Using third party tools is for those who are savvy to the build.

No, Cheryl, even admin users do not see the directories hidden from the users, unless you use TinkerTool (or something else that enables this) to enable viewing hidden and system files and folders in the Finder. I'd get TinkerTool, anyway, since it has a lot of fun and useful settings for the system you might want to change.

chibislick said:
kind of a disapointment though, since both windows and unix/linux let you browse your file system freely.

There is a way, if one KNOWS what what he/she is doing. That is why there is a program called Terminal (Hard Drive->Applications->Utilities-Terminal). It works like most unix terminals, IF you know how to use it.

And the reason for _not_ letting everyone browse the UNIX entails is also clear: People coming over from Mac OS 9 would have just deleted 'all those unnecessary folders' or moved them into the Sytem folder 'where they belong'. ;-)

chibislick said:
Terminal? And there I thought it was an ms-dos emulator.. oops :D

:confused:

Slowly back AWAAYYY from the Terminal....

<Just kidding> :)

Actually, you can edit the files from Terminal easily using pico. It's much more intuitive than vi (although I am fond of vi also). Just make sure that you have admin rights to be able to edit and save the file.

Even with admin privileges you cannot edit many of the system files. Instead you would have to logon as Root. To reiterate what has already been said, you do not want to edit system files unless you are an experienced Unix admin. Given the question you asked, you do not qualify.

If you persist in editing system files, be sure you have thorough and current backups and know where the install CDs are because you will be needing them for the reinstallation.

That's not right, perfessor. ;-) As an admin, you just have to 'sudo pico' in order to actually _use_ your admin rights. Gives you the same rights as root would have.

fryke said:
That's not right, perfessor. ;-) As an admin, you just have to 'sudo pico' in order to actually _use_ your admin rights. Gives you the same rights as root would have.

This is true. I had forgotten about that. But you do have to add yourself (or the group you are in) to the sudoers list using visudo, which means you have to activate root. I believe I had to do this for the aformentioned to work so that I could use sudo for root-ish tasks.

Nope. Not true. Sudo works for any administrator account out of the box. Use your own password when prompted.

Doug

chibislick,

What specifically did you want to do but couldn't do? Which version of OS X do you have. If you're not sure, click on the Apple, then 'About This Mac'.

I was confused to no end by the "column view" in Finder, until I realized that you could use the horizontal scroll bar to get all the way back to the root directory. Panther (OS X 10.3) makes navigating the filesystem MUCH easier.

Incidentally, with OS X, you have to actually "enable" the root user if you want to run as root. People will warn you against it. I don't use it. Don't need it. But, it's your machine. If you want, run as root.

If you're interested, search the net for "enable root user os x". That should get you info about getting into Netinfo. But be careful. Netinfo won't give you any love ** and a typo could mess up your machine. **

Doug

fryke said:
No, Cheryl, even admin users do not see the directories hidden from the users, unless you use TinkerTool (or something else that enables this) to enable viewing hidden and system files and folders in the Finder.

But chibislick did not say he was looking into the hidden files. Just to browse through the folders. The hidden/invisible files is another story that does need TinkerTool. :)

fryke said:
You are correct. As a firm believer in using the command line if, and only if, there is no other possible alternative I tend to forget about sudo and I use Pico and Vi only when someone has a gun to my head. :D

I still contend that given chibislick's obvious lack of knowledge, he has no business editing system files. This is a case where a little bit of knowledge can be very dangerous to the health of his system.

I am happy people care for me about editing system files :) But.. I have knowledge in linux/windows, enough to know wich files to mess with. :D The question was just a noob question about browsing files with finder, since I'm not used to Mac OS finder. I basically just wanted to know if there was an option like in windows (ie: show hidden/system files and folders) I didn't see. I know how to use the terminal, done it hundread times with freebsd/fedora, I'm also an ms-dos veteran :D

My original goal was to modify httpd.conf to add an alias. not big deal, really :rolleyes: Could have done it with text editors with the terminal, but the goal was to edit it with textEdit (GUI text editor.) since, well, learning is fun.. right? :p

dktrickey said:
Nope. Not true. Sudo works for any administrator account out of the box. Use your own password when prompted.

Doug

Well, I guess this depends on which version of OS X you are using. I tried under Jaguar (after a fresh install) to use "sudo" without adding myself to the "sudoers" list, but it wouldn't let me. I was trying to edit a a file to apply the Rage 128 accelerator hack.

I had to activate root, add myself to sudoers, and then disable root. Then I was able to edit the file without becoming root or having it activated.

I haven't tried it on Panther, so your solution might work under there.

Back