Normal mac software on an intel mac...

hoarp001

Registered
Hi, Im about to buy a macbook (black) and Just wondered if all the software I currently have on my PowerPC Powermac G5 will work on the macbook, or do I need a certain version of each software item for the intel machine?

Thanks for any advice,

Pete.

Many Mac programs already have a universal binary (i.e. on that supports both x86 & PPC) so they run on the new Intel macs as well as the old Macs. Even if they do not have a universal binary, they "should" run fine as the Intel Macs come with a software called Rosetta, that enables them to run applications that are compiled for older Macs. If you're unfortunate enough to run some bass-ackwards software like Matlab, that do not have a universal binary and do not run under Rosetta, they are most likely workarounds you could try.

In short, have a look at the software manufacturer's homepage. Do a Google search to see if anyone has had success in running them on their Intel Macs.

Good luck.

Yes, your PowerPC programs will still run, but with a slight performance decrease. (Since they have to run under Rosetta.)

So do i just install them as usual or do i need to instal them through rosetta? When i run the program, do i need to do it through rosetta or just in finder as usual?

Rosetta is transparent. You can't really _do_ anything with Rosetta. PowerPC binaries are simply (ha!) run through Rosetta emulation. If an installer or an application _doesn't_ work, I'd look for an updated installer/application on versiontracker.com/macupdate.com or the developer's website.

Something that hasn't been mentioned since the original poster is upgrading from a PowerPC Mac: If you're still using any applications that run on the Classic environment, you won't be able to run them on the Intel Mac unless you use an emulator like SheepShaver which emulates a PowerPC Macintosh and needs an installation of OS 9 or earlier (similar scenario to something like VirtualPC but it emulates a Mac instead).

Otherwise, all PowerPC-based Mac OS X apps should run fine, albeit under Rosetta on the Intel Macs.

Something that hasn't been mentioned since the original poster is upgrading from a PowerPC Mac: If you're still using any applications that run on the Classic environment, you won't be able to run them on the Intel Mac unless you use an emulator like SheepShaver which emulates a PowerPC Macintosh and needs an installation of OS 9 or earlier (similar scenario to something like VirtualPC but it emulates a Mac instead).

Otherwise, all PowerPC-based Mac OS X apps should run fine, albeit under Rosetta on the Intel Macs.
Is it time to move on from OS 9 (old Adobe software/Quark Express or not)?

Is it time to move on from OS 9 (old Adobe software/Quark Express or not)?

THat depends. It's a subjective topic. Some people are quite happy with what OS 9 offers and have stuck with it, while others have moved on to OS X without looking back.

Well, all Adobe and Quark software _I_ know and use has come quite a way from the old, OS 9 compatible, versions. Also, these applications are usually used in a professional environment. I'd say things holding a user back in OS 9 and earlier are rather little tools that haven't found a real replacement. Friend of mine still uses an old font-creation tool, for example, and he just hasn't found a replacement that would suit him as well. Therefore he keeps my old TiBook 500 around, which allows him to boot into OS 9, while he's using his brand new MacBook Pro to do the other work. If you have only one or two applications running in OS 9 and earlier, it's also quite stable, usually. But for the real work, he prefers OS X, of course.

SheepShaver comment: I managed to get it to run and install, but booting from the disk image with an installed OS 9.0.x doesn't work for me. :/ It hangs somewhere. Then again: I wouldn't know of any app that I'd really like to use from the old days... The Incredible Machine, maybe...? :)

Back