NTL Broadband wifi (wireless)

Jimbolgs

Registered
I have an NTL set top box with which I receive a broadband connection at home. It's not a seperate cable modem - just a set top box with a 5 metre ethernet cable connected to my powerbook, and I want to get rid of the cable and get set up with wifi.

I've found some products online which I want to buy if I know they'll work. They are both made by D-Link:

First is a USB adaptor:
http://www.d-link.com/products/?pid=175

And the other is a router/switch:
http://www.d-link.com/products/?pid=226

Will these provide me with a wireless network for my mac?

Ok, the USB adaptor comes with mac drivers and should easily connect with the router. But, the router is the area where I'm unsure. Does it need a dedicated computer to manage it or can I just connect it to my NTL cable box, and start surfing with my USB thing plugged in?

I downloaded the manual and read through the instructions and, ok, it has to be configured using an up-to-date browser, but what happens after that? Is it stand alone or computer dependent?

You see, I can get this equipment for just £83 as aposed to spending over £200 on Apple's Airport gear - and I still don't know if that would do what I want it to.

Any help here would be appreciated, from people using airport or other manufacturers equipment.

Cheers and happy new year!

Linksys sells a good wireless router (BEFW11S4). I got mine for around $70 (US). I don't have experience with the D-link stuff.

-JARinteractive

Routers are stand-alone. They share your cable modem connection equally with all computers connected. I don't have cable modem, so be sure to check this: most routers do the authenticating for your entire in-home network, using the PPPoE protocol (individual computers no longer have to). Does your cable modem require/use the PPPoE protocol? One thing I think you may want to consider - D-Link has been mostly Mac-unfriendly. I believe the browser access overcomes most of this, but I think all D-Link products Block appletalk packets. This means you may need workarounds to use appletalk-only printers, for example. I personally use an older Netgear router that doesn't have these limitations, but Netgear has turned against us in its newer products, too. As for basic WiFi functionality, all the WiFi routers I've seen work as well as Airport (personal opinion).

But my main question (being new to wifi) is if I get these 2 items can I just plug the NTl box into my router if it does PPPoE and the usb thing into my laptop and start surfing?

Maybe I should mail the manufacturer.

I appreciate your help but don't fully understand your answer - sorry!

Jimbolgs – can you let us know if it works out: I've got the same ntl set up as you have and I'd love to go wifi too.

D-Link is VERY Mac-friendly. The setup is via browser and it works perfectly with Safari, including all firmware updates. The manual even includes Mac setup instructions. I've been using a wired D-Link router (DI-604) for well over a year with absolutely no issues whatsoever.

3 Macs (1-10.3, 2-9.2.2) and 1 PC (Win2K), all talking quite nicely to each other, all printing via AppleTalk to my LaserWriter Pro 600 (connected via LocalTalk - and Apple's LocalTalk Bridge control panel - to my 7300 which is connected via Ethernet to my router).

Ok, thanks for that but how are you connecting to the internet? Through the router? Any Wifi equipment?

The router's directly connected to my Linksys Cable Modem - I have Comcast.

No WiFi - yet. I've just ordered the DI-614+ router because I want my ancient PB 1400c to be able to get online for updates & stuff. And my bf wants his even more ancient PB 5300c to get online to get service pdf's for work.

Back