number of m$/unix viri - help me fight my IT dept

podmate

Registered
I am looking for some (specific) ammunition to use in the fight to bring Apple back to the University that I work for.

What I am looking for is a site (or multiple sites) that list the names (or some identifier) for every viri/worm/hole that has hit windoze (all OS's), unix (any including linux) AND Apple (all OS's).

I am also looking for the total number (historical) of viri/worm/hole that have hit windoze, unix (any including linux) AND Apple.

Anything listing the dollar amounts of damage done by viri/worm/hole (by platform) would be great.

I am googleing, but I am sure people here have had direct experience with this issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

David

Look at the software company sites;

Symantec
Virex

They usually have a data base of viruses for all systems.

If you were to list (in a numbered list) all the virii for either OS in a Word document at 12 pt. Times New Roman with no special line spacing, with the normal margins of 1" on the top and bottom, and with each on its own separate line, you would come up with 46 virii per page.

- For windows, you would need almost 1100 pages to list all the virii.
- For Mac, you would only need 7.

Seriously. There are over 50,000 documented Windows virii in existence; the Mac has barely seen 300.

But I wouldn't use virii as your only cannon, so to speak. You should educate yourself as much as you can about the reasons Mac is superior to PC, especially in an educational setting. Try www.macvspc.info if it ever starts working again.

Yeah, I have looked through macvspc quite a few times.
What I want to find are some more hard facts. I want to be able to give the head of IT (and the overseers of IT spending) a paper list of all 50,000 M$ viri, all XXX serious flaws, all XXX worms.
Then I want to do the same for Mac OS.
Linux/Unix would be nice also.
I want these people to see the proof in the 5 inch high pile of paper that is the M$ file.

I then want to show them some estimated costs of maintaining a 'secure' windoze environment, the costs of constant patching and the costs of clean up and recovery from a worm/viri.

david

Cat: This is not helpful at all for the current thread. I hope you're aware of this. It's a nice site to link to for MS-haters, but no, nothing about virii at all.

Sorry Fryke, but I didn't think it was entirely off-topic. I didn't want to simply diss windows, but to point out a vulnerability in wondows that can be exploited. Indeed, this is not about a virus, but about personal data that could easily be compromised once the system is hacked.
Moreover, the thread was going in the direction of "why indeed is windows a bad idea?", so micorsuck, despite the websites title, seemed like a good place to start looking.

I'll amend with another, more respectable, link: http://rss.com.com/2009-1081_3-5068119.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=news

And this site is also a good place to get an idea of windows vulnerability:
http://www.zone-h.org/

Back