Odd Windows/Mac networking problem

baggss

Stoopid American Rednek
Ok, here is what I am doing, maybe someone here can help me. I have 2 Macs (a G4 desktop and an iBook) and a Windows PC (XP Home) all on my Airport Network (the PC is on a LiinkSys USB box). I've been able to have the Macs network for quite some time, but I found the need to add the PC in there. I went on XP and created a network and let it call itself the default name (Workgroup). I turned Windows file sharing on on both Macs and low and behold, I was able to log onto both Macs from the PC. So far so good. Next I decided to to log onto the PC from the Macs. When I opened up the "Network" tab in the Finder window on the iBook, there was the PC network and I could log on just fine. When I do the same on the G4, it sees NOTHING. The Sharing and network settings are the same on the G4 and iBook. I tried shutting the iBook down to see if the G4 would then see the Windows network. Still nothing. This is getting a bit frustrating at this point.

Anyone have ANY advice....?

Are all of the machines on the same subnet?

Can you access the PeeCee by it's IP address?

Are you running OS X 10.3 on both Macs?

TommyWillB said:
Are all of the machines on the same subnet?

Can you access the PeeCee by it's IP address?

Are you running OS X 10.3 on both Macs?

Yep all are on the same subnet, and both Macs are running 10.3.4.

I found out in another forum that I have to go to the GO > CONNECT TO SERVER and enter smb://(pc's network name)/(a shared folder on the pc)
then click connect. That works and I was able to save the shortcut to the PC to make access easier. Still not sure why it happens that way, but at least I now can access the shred folder from my desktop Mac... :D

Back