Office Alternative

wapstar

iAussie
I know this has been a discussion before. What is a good alternative to Office in OSX.
I am looking to upgrade the company to OSX without having to shell out a bucket load of cash to microsoft.
It would need to be able to read existing word and excel documents i guess.

Any recommendations?

Appleworks can do it...so can openoffice. Appleworks is included on consumer macs, or $50 seperately. Open office is free, I believe.

Office apps for OS X that I know of:
M$ Office X
AppleWorks
OpenOffice
ThinkFree Office

Then again you may google up yourself in order to find separate office apps such as Nisus Writer Express or AbiWord in order to find what you really want :rolleyes:

If you use X11, you could also check out KOffice, it's like OpenOffice for KDE. Quite good, with A LOT of options, packages, localization etc.

Originally posted by Dlatu1983
Appleworks can do it...so can openoffice. Appleworks is included on consumer macs, or $50 seperately. Open office is free, I believe.

Where is appleworks?? is it in OSX?

Originally posted by wapstar
Where is appleworks?? is it in OSX?

It comes with OS X along with iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, etc.

I would recommend that you try all the options out before you commit the whole office to one of them. Each has its good points and yes, bad points too. None are as bloated as Office but they don't offer everything that Office has either. Since they are free, all it takes is a little time to figure out which one you like best.

Appleworks, as said, comes out with "consumer" macs such as iMacs, iBooks etc. They depend on the country of purchase, so e.g. an iMac purchased in Italy has normally the AppleWorks in Italian. As far as the *common sense* goes, if you got the AppleWorks in one language, and primarily use it on another than what you got where you purchased it (e.g. using it in English in Japan, or in English in France or Italy) it still should be ok, as you have 1 licence for the program and you use 1 times the program.

If you didn't get AppleWorks, www.Open.Office.Org has a good, 100 % free alternative. Koffice is really good too. (And Apple is likely to release a MS office good competitor soon). :)

OK I see I am looking on a Dual G4 PowerMac
I did find Appleworks on my iMac at home
is it free to disperse amongst macs???

No... technically the liscense is only for that iMac... but Apple probably won't hunt you down if you do.

An article on MacCentral today indicated that Panther's version of TextEdit is going to be able to open .doc files. And some have suggested that Apple is working on an internal project that will supercede Office v.X. It's only a rumor at this point, so don't start stacking your pennies.

Back