Official Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Thread & FAQ

Well as you may know that when people used the Leopard upgrade function...
I think you're missing the point...

Even though the $29 Snow Leopard disk is called an "Upgrade" disk does NOT mean that the only installation type it will allow you to do is an "Upgrade Install."

You can, indeed, perform a clean installation of Snow Leopard on your computer with the $29 "Upgrade" disk.

The disk is called an "Upgrade" disk, but that has nothing to do with the installation types you can perform with said disk. You can use the "Upgrade" disk to perform a "Clean Install" of Snow Leopard (as long as Leopard is already on your machine -- Snow Leopard "Upgrade" disk will verify that you have Leopard, then wipe your drive clean, and perform a clean-install of Snow Leopard -- and, as fryke stated and restated, an existing Leopard installation may not even be required).

Yes, Satcomer, I'm aware that people had trouble upgrading. With 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5... And some will have trouble with 10.6, too. What I meant was: You don't need to erase the harddrive some other way. You can do it from within the 10.6 installer (or rather, from the supplied Disk Utility). If you want a clean install, do a clean install. No problem.

Just a little wrap-up on the day that it became clear that the final build of Mac OS X 10.6 is 10A432, the version that has last been tested by developers:

1.) You can either upgrade from Leopard (with the 29$ retail disc or the 9.95$ up-to-date disc) or Tiger (with the Mac Box Set) or clean install using Disk Utility when started from the disc. All of this only works on intel Macs, but works on _all_ intel Macs.

2.) Unless you've got an Xserve, your Mac will boot the 32-bit kernel per default. Some - but not all - newer machines allow booting the 64-bit kernel, but as a general rule: You shouldn't care. If you ask yourself whether the 64-bit kernel would do any good for you, it won't.

3.) Rosetta can be installed directly from the 10.6 installer, but if you forget to install it and have an application that requires it, Software Update will download and install Rosetta for you without rebooting. You just have to start the application again yourself after Software Update finishes installing Rosetta.

4.) Quicktime X has no preferences. There basically *are no settings*! You can, however, install Quicktime 7 from within the 10.6 installer. This application still has preferences and you can add your Quicktime 7 Pro code from within the Quicktime 7 Player and have its features in 10.6.

5.) Some reports claim that the 29$ "Upgrade Disc" actually is a full disc, meaning that you don't have to have Leopard installed at installation time, and it also won't ask you for your Leopard disc. However this disc, according to the reports, does _not_ allow you to upgrade from Tiger. So there _is_ a difference between the discs. The "Upgrade Disc" allows clean installs and updates from Leopard, the Mac Box set behaves just like Leopard Retail did and lets you upgrade from Tiger and Leopard and also allows for clean installs.

Concerning 4, this means QT X is a viewer. And for the rest we are probably expected to use iMovie or other editing applications.

Hi All,
My Mac Book Pro specification is as follows. Can I install Snow Leopard in my MBP?
Thanks!

Model Name: MacBook Pro 17"
Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,2
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP12.0061.B03
SMC Version: 1.5f10
Serial Number: W86400A0VTG
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Hi All,
My Mac Book Pro specification is as follows. Can I install Snow Leopard in my MBP?
Thanks!

Model Name: MacBook Pro 17"
Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,2
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP12.0061.B03
SMC Version: 1.5f10
Serial Number: W86400A0VTG
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Yes !

Thanks Chevy!
However, will I get the advantage of Snow Leopard OS compared to what I have now, if I install it in my MBP?

Snow Leopard runs exactly the same on all Intel-based Macintosh computers. You will have every feature available to you that every other Snow Leopard user has as well (without regard to hardware-dependent optimizations, like OpenCL, OpenGL, etc.).

You can do it from within the 10.6 installer (or rather, from the supplied Disk Utility). If you want a clean install, do a clean install. No problem.

But . . . that will destroy my data!
freakingout.gif

So . . . to explain it for the Children
hugscared.gif
:

1. Back Up Your Data--of course!
2. Disconnect Ex/Secondary Drive.
3. Clean Install 10.6--adding Rosetta if you need it.
4. Reconnect Ex/Secondary Drive--when it asks you if you have a previous account, click "yes!"
5. Pour Coffee--laugh at PC users.

Unless there is a simple "Update," but from what I have read, it seems a fresh new updated system is the way to go?
wha_a.gif

--J.D.

Thanks Chevy!
However, will I get the advantage of Snow Leopard OS compared to what I have now, if I install it in my MBP?

You might consider getting more RAM? A number of people recommend OWC, I do not like them--they smell! I recommend Here, but whichever, if you want a faster computer it will like the RAM.

--J.D.

Oh and Amazon is advertising it for $24-25 only to add on a lot of shipping charges that put it over what Apple sells with free shipping.
brood.gif

--J.D.

Unless there is a simple "Update," but from what I have read, it seems a fresh new updated system is the way to go?

If your backup is fine, there's no reason _not_ to try a simple upgrade. If something goes wrong, you can still do a clean install and get stuff back from the backup... I've essentially done three straight upgrades with no problems whatsoever. Incompatible apps, like iStat menus, have simply been disabled after the upgrade. I didn't even notice it at first and decided that I don't really need a CPU watcher, so I removed it completely.

Oh and ihero06? Please read the first post of the thread. It should explain nicely...

If your backup is fine, there's no reason _not_ to try a simple upgrade.

Basically, what I am going to do is clone the thing as I usually do, disconnect, update, and see what happens for a few days. So long as "things work" fine, that should be okay. Otherwise, I can always Clean Install then transfer from the Ex-HD. If things are not so good, I can simply come back from the clone and wait for "whatever" is not working to be updated for 10.6.

To which I give the general suggestion to readers--particularly if they have a laptop--to get an Ex-HD. It will save butts.

--J.D.

Thanks for the comments.
I have been thinking about a memory upgrade for a while. My MPB is running slow now a days, especially when I run MS Office files.
Can you guys suggest what is the best 1GB RAM for my MBP?

Fryke, I can't quite figure out whether I should get the $29 or the $49 version. I often mess up things on my Mac or want to partition my drive and don't have enough space. When this happens, I either reinstall Mac OS X (I have Leopard) or format the hard drive and reinstall Mac OS X. Will I be able to do both those things with the $29 version? (I'm the only one who will be using it.) Thanks

My Apple Store order still is displaying "Prepared for Shipment." No tracking number available.

I certainly hope their system is just reporting old information... unless they intend on shipping it to me overnight/same day!

Aaaah! The suspense!

Our store got a new batch of MacBooks (white) today, and they still contain 10.5.6. No upgrade discs inside. Horrible, I find. Apple's really not that nice to its resellers nowadays. :/ What are we supposed to do? Tell customers to register online for 9.95$ (well, 13 CHF)?? I find that odd behaviour.

Neither did I -- I had originally ordered it from Amazon, but their shipping costs put the total price above Apple's online store price, even with tax figured in. So I canceled and went with the online Apple store.

It's shipping from Tennessee, so it looks like south Texas will finally get a little dose of "Snow" from the north after all these years... har har har! Whoa... certainly is a bad joke day, isn't it? :(

Back