old mac, newbie, pop mail question

observence

Registered
hi all,
i was given a mac power pc g4 10.1.3 which i upgraded to 10.1.5
ive installed ff 1.04 and its running nicely but im looking for a version of thunderbird that will work. ive been all over google and the links to an old version of tbird.dmg are closed.
if there is another pop email that will work just fine thats ok but i prefer tbird.
thanks for helping this mac newbie;-).
O

MacOS X 10.1.5 was released in June 2002, more than eight years ago. You will have a lot of trouble locating software for this OS. You really ought to upgrade your OS at least to MacOS X 10.4. There is nothing that MacOS X 10.1.5 can do that MacOS X 10.4.11 can't do better.

hi MisterMe,
well being new to mac and having been given a free system id like to try out a few things before i upgrade. if i like mac ill buy a new imac but for now id like to get this system running so i can play with it for awhile, including email;-).
where can i get the 10.4 upgrade?
thank you,
O
ive used linux for 5 yrs so some things i can figure out myself but i cant find the email that came with this system so i figured id use tbird since im very familiar with it but have used other pop mail with other linux systems. any suggestions on which pop mail i can install would be appreciated;-)

where can i get the 10.4 upgrade?
It isn't called an "upgrade." You need a retail distribution DVD for MacOS X 10.4. You best bet would be to check your local Yellow Pages for a shop that specializes in Macs. Someone there should be able to help you out.

hi DeltaMac,
due to work ive been out of state but im back.........for now.
i tried the mail app but i need the key chain password. that is a problem. the owner passed away 2 or 3 yrs ago and the daughter doesnt know that password;-(. she gave me her password and i changed the name and password on that user account and thats what im using now.
i dont see any where to set up a new mail account either?

hi MisterMe,
It isn't called an "upgrade." You need a retail distribution DVD for MacOS X 10.4. You best bet would be to check your local Yellow Pages for a shop that specializes in Macs. Someone there should be able to help you out.
i called the only 2 mac dealers in town or surrounding area when i first got my mac and i was told, basically, to junk the system and buy a new mac. so i already know what their answer is.

O

This is classic. I love my mac and all, and this has really nothing to do with your question. "But I can install a really recent Microsoft Office on my Windows 2000 system, which is slightly older than eight years, yes.". This is kind of embarrassing. I bought an Dual-G5 for use with Aperture professionally. One year later it was totally unsupported, basically. I bought a serious computer for over $2500, and I still can't go from Aperture 2 to Aperture 3. Apple doesn't care about old customers, it seems. The only reason G5 was abandoned was because it wouldn't do in a laptop computer to to energy consumption issues, and I understand that.

Has Apple's high-end systems developed into products only meant for corporate customers/millionaires who doesn't care about cost issues?

hi dalo,
"This is classic. I love my mac and all, and this has really nothing to do with your question. "But I can install a really recent Microsoft Office on my Windows 2000 system, which is slightly older than eight years, yes.". This is kind of embarrassing. I bought an Dual-G5 for use with Aperture professionally. One year later it was totally unsupported, basically. I bought a serious computer for over $2500, and I still can't go from Aperture 2 to Aperture 3. Apple doesn't care about old customers, it seems. The only reason G5 was abandoned was because it wouldn't do in a laptop computer to to energy consumption issues, and I understand that.

Has Apple's high-end systems developed into products only meant for corporate customers/millionaires who doesn't care about cost issues?"

your exactly right! ive now contacted a few more dealers, within 50 miles, and they all are interested in selling me a new mac but no help on the mac i have even though i explain to them im mainly trying to get this mac so i can play with it and see if i really want to lay out the big bucks for a new mac.
my solution is to stay with Linux. its free and thousands of programs are free also. unless your doing high end graphices linux can do anything windoz or mac can do and more.
thanks to all who tried to help me.
O

Back