One letter wont work!

jwf222

Registered
One letter on my Macbook Pro quit working. Nothing was spilled or anything, it's not stuck, it feels normal when you press it, but it will not work......it's the last letter of the alphabet. very frustrating. any idea what's going on?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

Resetting MacBook and MacBook Pro System Management Controller (SMC)

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.
2. Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.
3. Press and hold down the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.
4. Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
5. Press the Power button to restart the computer.

*this may also solve the other problem you posted.

thanks a lot for the try, but that didnt work. any other ideas? you never know how much you use that letter until you dont have it! im willing to try anything at this point!

can you connect any USB keyboard just to test whether it's a hardware or a software problem? if the "z" works on the external, it sure seems like a hardware problem...

A simple way to find out if it is a hardware or software problem is to switch to the French keyboard setting in the International Preference Pane.
The "Z" will then appear under your "W" key and the "W" will appear under the "Z" key.
If it is a hardware problem, then you will still be able to use the "Z" while in the American keyboard setting after having typed and copied it while in the French keyboard setting.
You can then paste the "Z" whenever you wish. It is not an ideal solution, but you can nevertheless have your work done until you get your keyboard fixed.

And if you have PopChar installed, you can easily get your "Z" through it for the time being.

BimBam

erh, for the workaround you could also simply copy it from _any_ text, don't have to type it yourself. ;) ...

yeah, ive been copying it....sometimes that letter is tough to find though, and i thought their might be a diffrent solution......thanks tho

You could paste it into a TextEdit document (a text-only one so no font/style information is copied ) and keep that open so you can quickly access it for now. However: If any testing shows that it's really a hardware issue, I'd have it serviced as soon as you can. Warranty and stuff...

Back