Open Office Stopped Loading After X11 update?!

fitzkil

Registered
I had OpenOffice running no problems in my macbook. I think it was after I updated the X11, or maybe after I installed bootcamp, it just stopped loading... It starts to load then it shuts itself. Any help appreciated!

Have you tried downloading the latest version of OpenOffice, deleting the old version and installing the new version? I think the latest version is now 2.0.4.

You might also want to do a search for any .plist preference files associated with OpenOffice. If you're running Tiger, you can use Spotlight to conduct the search. Just type ".plist" and you should come up with a bunch of hits from your hard drive. Any .plist file that says OpenOffice can be dumped.

The 10.4.8 update kinda borked a few X11 apps. Matlab was one of them. I'm not surpised if this is the reason OpenOffice isn't loading up.

Perhaps it's time to give NeoOffice a try?

There were no .plist files associated with Open Office, and I am running the latest version, I deleted the one I had and downloaded the latest version from their official site. Perhps I'll give NeoOffice a try. Is it stable? I read in their website that if you need something really stable you should stick to microsoft office...?!
Thanks for the help! I am new to mac, and this forum is pretty cool. Lots if useful tips.

I want to say I remember something about some new font installed with either the X11 update or OpenOffice that was causing a conflict between then two... can't find any information on that now, though...

I also just saw on the X11 list that they are releasing a new X11 to fix a bug introduced in the last update. It may just fix your problem, they said it will be on Software Update in the next 24 hours.

I saw there is a new update but I have a download/ upload limit in my internet conection (really sucks) so I'll have to wait until next month to download it. I'm out of my quota... I think it should fix the prob. Thanks for all the info.

Back