OS X memory stealing same as OS 9????

Urbansory

The Definition of...
I am wondering is anyone else experiencing problems with X eating memory. I have to restart to get it to let go. It seems to eat up my memory until it has half active according to Memorystick and another memory monitoring app. This makes my OS run slow when i have apps open that eat up memory. After a restart the system is all well, but slowly as a work, openging and closing apps, the memory doesn't go back to showing what the Processor Viewer comfirms , and that is about 20% of memory is in use, while other apps show more than 60% in use. Is there a way to free up that memory? I quited every app, restarted finder, and it still stays the same.

I figures it would be easier for you to see screenshots. In memory stick..
Red:Active
Yellow:Inactive
Green:Free

I noticed when i had top open, more memory was released when i quit my apps and classic, normally just the inactive memory would release and the active would stay almost the same.

Apps quited
Apps open

Mac os x has a different ram strategy, you'll have to ask a unix junkie for detailed info, but basically it stores a lot of ram in case something needs it, so it "caches" the ram

Everything looks in order to me on that. Alot of the system applications will use less memory when the system starts then later on. This is due to lots of caching of information to speed up actions. What you really want to look at is the memory usage of every application after boot, and compare the size of those applications after you close apps. Things like the Finder, Window Manager, and kernel_tasks will increase and decrease in size as the system runs and they are doing different things, and have different stuff cached. Memory management/usage in OS X (and most modern OS's) is very dynamic and ever changing.

Brian

Well sometimes this problem eats up memory when nothing is open, then when i try to use a memory hog app, the system runs sluggish. So I have to restart to clear it out often, since i do a lot of freelance projects in flash, ill, photoshop, after effects and so on. I really need that memory.

I was thinking about that, I have all 4 slots full, so one of those 64mb has to go. So i will have a 64, 128, 256 and a 512 soon. Is there any order they should be in, or it doesn't matter? I have it from 1 through 4... 128, 64, 64, 256

It's always best to start with the largest in the first slot,and work your way down the line. Ofcourse, I have no documented proof of why it's better, but I've had the best results with that in just about any class of machine I've messed with.

Brian

Back