OS8 and USB compatibility questions...

austrini

Registered
Hi... I have a Powerbook 540c with a serial port in the back, and I have a new Canon Powershot S30 digital camera that uses compact flash and USB to transfer pics. I'm going on vacation soon and I want to be able to transfer my pictures to the powerbook so I can free up my memory card - does anyone have any suggestions on how to do that? I've seen the memory card-to-floppy adapters but they cost a bit much.
Could I get a USB-to-serial adapter (are they cheaper?) and upload stuff that way? Does OS8 support anything like that? I have a USB card reader as well...

Any suggestions would be awesome :) thanks

Justin

As far as I know "USB-to-serial adapters" do not exist. Granted, if you want to use old style serial with your USB Mac, we've got adapters for those, but I'm not sure about the other way around. I believe you'll need the card that gives you USB ports.

Also, if you do get the card, I believe you'll need OS 8.1.... I think that was the first version of the OS to offer USB support, but I'm not sure. Can anybody verify what the first system was to come on a Bondi iMac?

I'm not even quite sure, but I think you might need a PowerPC processor to use USB... your PowerBook has a 68k chip.

Wow, PowerBook 540c... I remember wanting one of those.... Codename: BlackBird... hehe.

*sigh*

thanks for the input... i've researched it like crazy and I've decided what to do. I'm just going to throw my old iMac in the trunk and take it along! It's never been to Orlando before...

Cheers,

justin

The Blondi iMac came with OS 8.1.

Austrini: Your best bet is to either get the floppy adaptor, a usb card (but I am not sure they make one for your book) or a printer that can print from the memory card directly. Then you can use the camera to delete the pictures and use it again. Or get a new book or invest in a couple more memory sticks. In either case, you need to spend a bit of $

Keep in mind that as you take pictures, you will be able to view them and if they don't turn out well, or you changed your mind about keeping it, you can delete them, saving only the best ones.

I think Entrega make a serial out to USB in adapter? Sorry but I'm not sure if there still in business, I think I purchased my adapter from them for my old Wallstreet PB.

FiNCH

OS 8.1 supports USB, but only on systems with built-in USB (iMAC, B&W G3). You have to use 8.5 or later for add-in USB, such as PCI or PC cards. your 540 PowerBook won't work with OS later than 8.1. You can't get to USB on your PowerBook 540, :cool: Got to have a PowerPC processor as a minimum, a PB540 is a 68040..

Does your 540/540c have any PCMCIA card slots? you should be able to install OS 8.5.1 and try a USB Card? Just a thought though...

You can't run 8.5.1 on a PB 540c, it's not a PowerPC processor or newer. Newest possible is 8.1. Can't support add-in USB, even if there was a card slot to use.

Back