OSX Mail 2.0 attachments (Word) do not open

petesza

Registered
Hi,

I'm new to MACOSX and OSX and have a question for you that is driving me nuts. I bought a new G5 a little while back and it came with MS Office 30 day trial. I had a stand alone Word 2004 package that I installed on my new Mac so for 30 days I had two copies of Word on my new Mac.

Whenever I opened up an MS Word mail attachment by clicking on the attachment within OSX mail 2.0 it would open up in the 30 day version of MS Word. Now that 30 day version has expired and I have trashed it whenever I open a word doc mail attachment it tells me to choose an application or save the file. I can choose the stand alone Word 2004 and it opens fine, but how do I get mail 2.0 (or OSX) to remember that *.doc's belong to Word 2004?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Pete

Mail does not retain that information. The OS does. Use Get Info to associate Word 2004 with Word files and you should be fine.

MisterMe said:
Mail does not retain that information. The OS does. Use Get Info to associate Word 2004 with Word files and you should be fine.
Translation: In the Finder, select a Word file then go to the File menu and select Get Info. Under the "Open with:" heading select Word from the drop-down menu. Click the "Change All" button. In the resulting window, click Continue.

Thanks! It worked like a champ, was still pointing to the old version of Word. After finding the new version, changed all, committed, and tested.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Pete

Back