OSX / OS9 time drift

reuben

Registered
I am using scientific software (LabVIEW) in OSX's classic mode. I find that the system clock under classic is synced to the real OSX system clock only when classic is started up, and then gradually drifts, so that after several months there's a large (~10 minutes) discrepancy between the two. Unfortunately, the OS9 features for using a network time server, or even manually setting the date and time, are disabled in classic.

Does anyone know of a way to keep the classic system clock synced with the OSX system clock, short of restarting classic periodically?

You've run Classic for several months without having to had restarted your system from time to time? That's pretty amazing...

Yes, OSX is using a network time server, so its clock is always right. It's possible that the OSX time would drift at the same rate if it weren't using the time server, but I haven't tried that. I found it surprising that the classic mode has an independent system time at all!

This computer runs a single application in classic mode, and it's always running. There is basically no loadung and unloading of programs. In that configuration at least, it has been absolutely stable.

A suggestion. Put the Classic (OS 9) Date & Time control panel in the Control panels (Disabled) folder. Restart Classic. This will force Classic to use OS X time.

Thanks Cheryl! I've done that, and I'll see how well the clocks are synced after a couple of weeks.

Also, I noticed that when I manually set the OSX time, the change propagates to the OS9/Classic time. If I then turn the time server syncing back on, that also propagates to the OS9 clock on its first read. If Cheryl's suggestion doesn't solve the problem, I'll try to find a way to have a cron job turn off the use of the time server, set the time, and turn the time server back on. If this happened once a day, it should keep things synced.

Anyone notice the "Fairy Moderator" has turned into a "Blueish-rose Moderator".

Not sure I trust a flower as much as the fairy godmother.

:)

Back