OSX Quark 6.0 finally here

Originally posted by toast
Quark X will not become a Mac OS X success simply because Mac OS X, at the very basis, is not a success in the DTP industry. Designers have switched, but not all. Printhouses are even fewer to claim switching.

Speed is becoming an issue. Quark X is sloooooow on many machines (just like InDesign is). Ouch...

I work in a design and Print house, all 14 of our Mac's are on OSX and we all love it, we have just been waiting for Quark so we can stop using Classic.
I know many people in the industory that are all using OSX and waiting for Quark. Quark IS the industry standard and most repro houses have used Quark for many years and will for many more.

@JackHammer: Have you ever even seen good type made in InDesign? Things like optical kerning and optical marin alignment aren't feasible in Quark. Oh, of course they are, if you set every character by hand. Would you do that on a text that is longer than two paragraphs? Would you do it on a BOOK?

id.gif

If you've ever completed a project in ID and _used_ its type features... Well, at least I can't go back to anything else, because it just looks worse - talent or not.

InDesign is cute, but I don't see it trumping Quark. I agree with a lot said already, so I won't ramble. But I'll say this. I'm only waiting for Quark 6 @ home. At work, we're still using Quark 4 on OS 9.

I'm a priest and in my work I use ID for the parish newspaper, ads for our activities. The output is mainly a laserprinter. The newspaper goes to a print house that uses mac and ID. I like very much the integration with photoshop and the typografic tools.
The escuse for the people to not change from Quark to ID in OS X will be the same for not change from Quark to Quak 6 in OS X (the version they use is the Quak 4 in mac OS 9 and they don't want to learn new things like a new OS and a new program.

Originally posted by catscout
The escuse for the people to not change from Quark to ID in OS X will be the same for not change from Quark to Quak 6 in OS X (the version they use is the Quak 4 in mac OS 9 and they don't want to learn new things like a new OS and a new program.

Or we use OS X at home & on freelance projects similar to your projects, would love to rock it at work, have already learned new things, others will catch on no problem, Quark works just fine, it's not just learning software, it changing years of Hot Key habits and Software know-how, and not to mention, swithching thousands of world-wide computers and expecting work to seamlessly move on at our super excellerated pace. The day will come, it has too, But I think I'll be working in OS 9 for a while. Not as my preference, but just the way things are. And hey, it may not be the creatives that everyone always bashes for being caught in the past or scared to move on and learn new things. That's not the case. Every designer, CD or AD I know has OS X @ home & some use and love InDesign. If the IT depts of large agencys wanted to chage & thought it wise to switch, I'd be typing this in Safari.

Originally posted by JML
changing years of Hot Key habits

In InDesign you can use the short cuts used in QuarXPress (just go to Edit -> keyboard shortcuts, and choose Quarkexpress shortcuts) or you can create new shortcuts for everyting.

Seeing as you just got it yeaterday, I'm sure you haven't done too much playing. But have you noticed any serious bugs? How's the speed and stability? What about the PDF export thingy? How's that working out? I'm curious about the text synch, but it's not something that I've been dying for or even considered needing. Wish they did some other stuff. But I think I read Style Sheets can be updated live n the document. That would be great. Looking forward to installing. Thanks for the good news. First I've heard from a user.

The only bug I found so far is it can lock up when saving a document, but this only happens on my powerbook, the Tower seems OK.
Speed is fine, no different from Quark 5.
PDF export is excellent.
A problem I found is you can no longer get a dialog box with the option to "open publisher" when you double click on a window box containing an image. I was so easy to automaticly open an image in photoshop, but its gone now. there may be an alternative I havn't found yet.
Also printing is a bit slow. In OS9 or Classic I set all my printers to print in the background to free up the application. But now using the Print Center instad of Lazer Writer 8, you have to wait for it to finnish printing before you can do anything else.
Thats about as far is I have got so far. Not even touched the web stuff yet. I will report back as soon as I have more Info

Originally posted by garymum4d
A problem I found is you can no longer get a dialog box with the option to "open publisher" when you double click on a window box containing an image. I was so easy to automaticly open an image in photoshop, but its gone now. there may be an alternative I havn't found yet.

That sucks. Great option gone. I wonder if it's still available under "Edit>Subscriber Options" or if it's gone there too. If it's there, it's still a pain. Unless they gave it a short cut key combo. That would be fine.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Nope! No Subscriber Options in the Edit menu.
I'm still looking for an alternative.

I will say Quark have made some good use for a 2 button mouse (I think the new 970's are 2 button. I use a Macally mouse), If you right click on an item you get a few options there like "Modify, Get Picture, Fit Picture to box, Send & Bring, Preview Resolution and so on. But no open publisher!!

Also cannot save as version 4 (only 5 or 6), a problem for many repro houses that did not upgrade to version 5!!!

Just need Suitcase and Inposition to upgrade their Xtension's to auto activate fonts and Impose pages for output (old one's don't work with version 6)

Back