OSX Rumors ... I hope this is real ... PLEASE

sounds great...but talking to your computer will only be a step forward when you dont have to actually make a sound. Do you really want to be alone in a room talking out loud? Or worse, in an office situation on a FLOOR full of people talking to their computers. And which totally non-personal emails are YOU gonna dictate out loud...

anyway. Great technology leap... but impractical ... I hat etyping... (see?) but unless and until we all radically chamge how we act and work.... Ill opt for the privacy and silence we now enjoy.

Microsoft has explorer embedded in the OS right now. Result? a google of security holes.

I hope that doesn't happen w/ safari being embedded in OS X.

Unless all of the sites I frequent are all looking to the same source, then I've been hearing this very story for over a week or two now.

So this rumor is consistent with the rest of rumor out there .. which certainly doesn't mean they're all right, but it does add a little weight.

As a personal stand point, I think the competitiveness of Steve Jobs may be well-exercised over the coming year as he and Apple work their collective tuttsies off to make Longyawn look less than average when [if ever?] it arrives.

Only time will tell...

Why embed apps such as Mail etc.!? Is this source from MS or something! I understand the need for tighter integration of Address Book, iCal, Mail etc (well, maybe more features than integration), but what's the benefit of embedding such apps?

As for voice recognition, it personally won't excite me.

I also think the idea of embedding applications is a bad idea. Yes, integration may well be more seamless, but at the expense of an increased memory footprint.

I don't use iChat and what about those people who don't use Mail? Do we get an option to turn these preference panes off?

It's still early days, so it would be folly to read too far into the technical details at this stage.

What I will say is, if Apple do get a foothold in the corporate market, we may well see the update / upgrade cycle for major releases to the system get stretched out a little.

Look at Microsoft? They have a 2-year cycle and they _still_ get stick from their corporate customers .. a number of which have yet to even look at Windows 2000 let alone XP...

Article says: "Apple will be bringing powerful new voice commands to OS X. By embedding the apps and making them a part of the OS in a way that’s never been done before, they will be able to be controlled seamlessly through voice commands without having to stop what you are doing. And by having these apps active inside the OS you won’t be waiting for them to launch." --- But that doesn't make much sense for me. We _do_ have speech recognition and commands in Mac OS since, hmm, 1990? It hasn't advanced _that_ much, true, but we got it. And the integration part is already done. Yes it's single apps, but nobody really minds that. Not in a UN*X system. The apps are open and available. Hmm.

Article strikes me as odd...

fryke said:
... We _do_ have speech recognition and commands in Mac OS since, hmm, 1990?

Not working in the way that the article suggests, nor the way we'd all like...

Hmm, if Apple really begins to embed this applications this is my reason number one to leave the MacOS. I hate Safari ans iChat. Just stupid programms for "normal" playing users. I've deleted them after testing a frew days. Ok, they look nice and are working but they didn't offer anything for someone in computer/network security. Even worse, Safari and iChat couldn't be called safe.

And if Apple will force me to use or load them if embeded in the system that it. I don't need any games and there are many other systems available. So Apple, include this applications and this was the last system I bought from you!

Hopefully this never happens. I want a fast and secure system where I can control every option. I want (and the browser I use can) decide witch objects to load on a page and what Scriptcommands be executed. And if a browser send a referer or allow Javascript for manipulation of windowsize, status... without allowing me to disable it's just a unsecure program. And Safari allows a webpage to do all this things without asking me.

And speech recognition would be a funny option but I never would use this while working with my mac. And if it's not possible to remove the software for this option it's even one reson more for deleting MacOS and switch maybe even to windows.

I want a small, secure and fully controlable system. Everything else is not worth buying it like Windows now. And in my opinion Apple is moving fast in the direction every hates when thinking about M$.

rbuenger says: "it's even one reson more for deleting MacOS and switch maybe even to windows. I want a small, secure and fully controlable system."

I don't see much logic here. I'm with you, though, don't want this all integrated and inseparable. I like Apple's thoughts in bringing us _separate_ iCal, Mail, iSync etc. And I don't think Apple will move away from this strategy anytime soon. However: Even if they're integrated won't mean you have to use them.

And: You want a "small, secure and fully controlable system"? We all know this just doesn't exist. Well, you could use linux and remove basically everything and work on the command line. ;-) We're way beyond 'small' with Mac OS X. But it is the most secure system around (beaten maybe only by Mac OS 9) and is quite controllable, too.

fryke said:
...(beaten maybe only by Mac OS 9) and is quite controllable, too.

Isn't this a strange?

I knew a firm that had a farm of Sun servers for client web hosting.

How did they make their service provision secure? they sat a mac in front of them running OS9.

Not so much secure by design as secure by accident...

I'd like to see universal synchronization without universal integration.

As for VRT embedded in some future OS? It's hard to imagine that not happening.

The future is large.

Yeah, I always imagine myself shouting at my iBook sitting in a train and think: "Nah, I'll rather just hit the keys..." - Apple-Esc to bring up LaunchBar, 'mail' and enter, Apple-N for a new message... Much faster than telling the computer what to do. And more quiet, too. ;-)

fryke said:
Yeah, I always imagine myself shouting at my iBook sitting in a train and think: "Nah, I'll rather just hit the keys..."...

I've got to wonder just how far voice recognition has progressed?

I mean, I don't see Star Trek style voice commands for some years, yet.

The biggest hurdle [second only to ascents -- both regional and national] is voice focus; are you talking to the computer or a friend next to you...

If they integrated everything into the OS that could be the biggest mistake Apple has ever made. There is no reason to do this. Stuff launches fast enough. This is the whole problem that people hate Microsoft for. Who want's IE part of the OS? Who wants Safari part of the OS and always running? The Framework is ok because you can delete it, but doing that already breaks some programs.

Like I said earlier in the thread, it's going to cause problems for some people and the idea of dropping all of the iApps into the system makes me shudder.

But I have always liked the embedded browser method of file navigation. The finder is part way there but not quite.

Maybe what this article alludes to is just an expansion of that?

Personally, I love Safari and Mail, so if the embeddedness was restricted to those two, I'd go with it. Anymore, and it's 1gig of ram as standard...

Back