Overclocking G4 Dual 1 Processor

You could probably do it one way or another, but would it be wise? Probably not. Would it work good? Probably not. How long would it survive? Probably not too long.

Might be a better idea to sell it and find yourself a DP 1.42 G4 or a DP 1.8 G5.

Or something entirely different. ;) ... AFAIK, it was possible to overclock them to some extent without issues. However: You'd do it totally on your own responsibility. And it's just sad if your Mac dies because of something like overclocking. 1.42 GHz would be a far shot, but you might be able to reach 1.2. Then again: Is it really _worth_ the trouble of maybe having to use the soldering iron etc.? The RAM tip probably gives you more, really. Or, like others said: Save up and buy a new (or used newer) machine.

Thanks for the replies guys. I agree. it probably isn't worth it. I do have my ram maxed at 1.5g but thought by overclocking, it would give it that extra boost. I'll wait.

CL

what about a new graphic unit? Many features of macosx and other apps are based on gpu acceleration.

um G4 towers will take up to 2Gb of RAM using 4x512mb.. only in os9, it wasn't all supported.

also, a new video card would probably speed things up. a 9700/9800Pro would probably do wonders for graphic intensive stuff...

I remember some guy at xlr8yourmac.com overlocked a dual 1 GHz to 1,2 GHz shortly after it was released.

Back