Overdrive Underwhelming

Arden

Where mah "any" keys at?
Okay, who here uses USB Overdrive with his mouse in OS X? Because I've tried, and it doesn't recognize my mouse. Granted, it's a "PC" mouse (a Starlogic 8D), but USB OD works fine in OS 9... where's the love from above in the new OS working with my mouse?

Pic is for reference, so y'alls can see what kind of mouse I've got.

That's odd...

I got a PC-Only Controller (Logitech WingMan RumblePad) to work with my Mac using USB Overdrive and it works beautifully (well, the D-Pad, haven't tried the - uh, sticks?) with Mame! :D

My mouse already worked with my Mac (as far as I cared anyway, Logitech MouseMan Wheel) but when I installed USB Overdrive it speedup my wheel - I hate that! So I had to go into System Prefs to slow it back down. :p

checking out the USB Overdrive web site, I see that some devices, called a type 3, are not working with USB Overdrive, perhaps your mouse is one of the lucky ones! Also adding scrolling where none exists does not work in OS X, but did in the OS 9 version, maybe that strange scroling ball is the issue with OS X, and not the USB Overdrive per se. Montalcini will likely release an update for Panther (been several months between updates), so be patient. USB O. works with most any device that follows USB standards, some manufacturers may take a wandering view of those standards.

Hmm, thanks, I'll have to check it out. I have been able find pretty much nothing about this mouse.

The mouse came with a PS2 adapter attached to it, so it's probably not completely intended for USB. Scrolling works fine in OS X and OS 9, as does right-clicking, but I can't assign anything to it in OS X. (I have the middle button set to double-click by default, so when I try this in OS X, I'm like, "Oh yeah, you piece of crap...".)

I'll have to see if I can find out what "type" the mouse is, and yell at someone until something gets done.

The mouse looks pretty old, or were you dipping oreo cookies in milk right before taking the photos. :D

It's not very old, I've had it less time than I've had my iMac, which I received in December. And I bought the mouse new. It just had a bit of shmutz on it, which I scraped off after scanning it.

Back