Panther on Lombard?

Krevinek

Evil PPC Tweaker
Since Apple has officially dropped support for the Beige G3, and Wallstreets... anyone try this on a decent Lombard?

Will it be worth running 10.3 on a system like this?

I have the B44 running on my Powerbook wich is a G3/333 with 256 MB of ram and the machine is as fast as it was on MacOS 9. (Maybe even slightly faster).
I think dropping support for the beige G3's is more because of legacy stuf on the machines like ADB and SCSI being onboard, old world rom is an issue aswel.

Originally posted by xommen
I think dropping support for the beige G3's is more because of legacy stuf on the machines like ADB and SCSI being onboard, old world rom is an issue aswel.

Well, the Wallstreet and Beige G3s had a sort of 'transitional' OF implementation and ROM. It wasn't quite OldWorld, but wasn't quite NewWorld. Although I run 10.2.6 on my 8600 (definitely OldWorld)... so I just think they didn't want to support it anymore.

I was just curious, as I am already aware the Lombard will need to be in OS 9 for 3D gaming... but since I don't do much gaming, I wanted to see if 10.3 would be a worthwhile main OS for a Lombard.

The best way to find out is to try it. Buy it, install it and play with it, and if it doesn't work for you, revert. (Of course, this is easier said than done... you should back up anything important before doing this.)

Yeah, I know... if I didn't already learn it from getting 10.2.6 running on this 8600, I have problems. :)

I was just curious as to how others felt the performance was (as it will determine what upgrades I do to the Lombard... which finally arrived today in good shape, and accepting of me :))

Originally posted by Krevinek
Since Apple has officially dropped support for the Beige G3, and Wallstreets... anyone try this on a decent Lombard?

Will it be worth running 10.3 on a system like this?
They have? I never heard that! I've read rumors about the Beige, but never actually heard anything concrete, and never heard about the WallStreets. I wonder if XpostF will be able to enable eventually? As to the Lombard question, OS X v10.2 runs all right on a Lombard (I've heard, with more RAM and perhaps a bigger drive), and OS X v10.3 is supposed to be faster, so it would probably be all right. Btw, I don't have those models, but am interested in more details.

Check out my signature for MOX troubleshooting tips (thanks, Hulk!). Kernel panics are probably covered.

I have the B44 running on 2 original iMacs (the 233 ones) one has 128 Mb the other 196, the one with 196 runs OK the other one is somewhat sluggish at times.
So I think the bottom line is Max out the RAM and it will work wel enough to work on.

Originally posted by spitty27
i know it doesnt help much but im on a pismo, it runs beautifully......im on b44

Actually, it does help a bit... considering the Lombard/Pismo are similar except the faster CPU/Bus speeds. (100Mhz from 66Mhz is a jump... although I am noticing that on certain things, the Lombard performs as if it were a 333Mhz Snow iBook)

And yeah, I know to max the RAM... it came with 64MB, I have ordered a 256MB DIMM, and am getting a 40GB HD and another 256MB DIMM on my next contract.

Back